Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Do you consider

Posted by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 6:52 PM
  • 37 Replies

A 5 year old a little kid?  I just got a huge lecture from my dad about how my 5 year old is not a little kid and I should not be treating him like one.

What do you think?

Being a full-time mother is one of the highest salaried jobs in my field, since the payment is pure love.  ~Mildred B. Vermont
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 6:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LuckyMom822
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 6:56 PM

Uh yeah... How does your dad think you should treat him?

JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on Mar. 1, 2013 at 6:59 PM

Apparently he is almost grown and should be treated accordingly.  I told him this is his first year of even being considered a kid.  Last year he was a preschooler.  So of course he's a little kid!

Quoting LuckyMom822:

Being a full-time mother is one of the highest salaried jobs in my field, since the payment is pure love.  ~Mildred B. Vermont
Numom61507
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 7:01 PM

I think 5 is that tricky age. They are in school full time and are starting to look 'older' in pics. They don't talk like babies anymore (hopefully) and are really starting to have real conversations with you. Their personalities are really starting to form and you sometimes get a glimpse of what puberty is going to be like (yikes!)..

In the same token, they are 5 and in most cases haven't experienced much. This is the time they start learning things in school at a lightning pace and rely on us for emotional and mental support.

As far as how I treat my 5yo daughter: each situation is different. Sometimes she's independent and I watch her in awe. Other times, she needs help. 

diaperstodating
by Angel on Mar. 1, 2013 at 7:03 PM
I disagree. I treat my 4 year old and 14 year old differently.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on Mar. 1, 2013 at 7:04 PM
2 moms liked this

I agree.  But in this case it was because I insisted on making sure there was no passenger side airbag in his truck before I would let my son go to the dump with him.  Any kid under 12 is a little kid when it comes to airbags!

Quoting Numom61507:

I think 5 is that tricky age. They are in school full time and are starting to look 'older' in pics. They don't talk like babies anymore (hopefully) and are really starting to have real conversations with you. Their personalities are really starting to form and you sometimes get a glimpse of what puberty is going to be like (yikes!)..

In the same token, they are 5 and in most cases haven't experienced much. This is the time they start learning things in school at a lightning pace and rely on us for emotional and mental support.

As far as how I treat my 5yo daughter: each situation is different. Sometimes she's independent and I watch her in awe. Other times, she needs help. 

LuckyMom822
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 7:04 PM

I think men like to treat little boys as if they are little men. They don't care for us moms coddling our children. I would ignore him.

Quoting JasonsMom2007:
Apparently he is almost grown and should be treated accordingly.  I told him this is his first year of even being considered a kid.  Last year he was a preschooler.  So of course he's a little kid!
Quoting LuckyMom822:

Numom61507
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 7:06 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh absolutely! When it comes to safety, any kid living under your roof is a little kid.. 

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

I agree.  But in this case it was because I insisted on making sure there was no passenger side airbag in his truck before I would let my son go to the dump with him.  Any kid under 12 is a little kid when it comes to airbags!

Quoting Numom61507:

kitty8199
by Bronze Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 7:08 PM
Yes he's a little kid and should be treated like a kid
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on Mar. 1, 2013 at 7:10 PM

Well come to think of it he did start telling me he was no longer a baby and I needed to stop babying him when he was like a month old lol.

Quoting LuckyMom822:

I think men like to treat little boys as if they are little men. They don't care for us moms coddling our children. I would ignore him.

Quoting JasonsMom2007:
Quoting LuckyMom822:

Pukalani79
by Kris on Mar. 1, 2013 at 8:07 PM

5 is still a little kid imo

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN