Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Do you like your MIL?

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 4:15 PM
  • 66 Replies

My MIL lived with us for 7 years and it was HELL. It really, really weighed on me and I was not in a good place mentally and emotionally for a really long time. It just got worse and worse as time went on. I was so stressed that I was having full blown panic attacks. I feel like a really tried to engage her and get to know her but she made (makes) no effort to know me back and it hurts me. I am incredibly relieved that she no longer lives with us since she was a terrible room mate on top of it. 

I have a 14yo daughter from a previous life and I recently had a baby 4mos ago with my husband. My MIL has come to visit almost every week which I am quite surprised about but it's so awkward when she's here because she doesn't talk to me. I try to have a conversation with her and all I get is one word answers. It's so frustrating.

I could complain all day about her! Just had to get it out since she was here today! haha

J

by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 4:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Judesmom333
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 4:18 PM
Mines a piece of trash. Atleast she makes an effort to see your child. Mine doesn't even do that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ecerka
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 4:18 PM
Nope. I've been with her son for 25 years and she get worse every year. He even refuses to answer the phone once he knows it's her and he NEVER wants to go over to their house.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TugBoatMama
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 4:19 PM
1 mom liked this

I love my mil a lot. She's a genuinely nice person. But sometimes she can get on my nerves because she can be smothering at times-especially when she's had too much to drink.

offrdngal
by Gold Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 4:38 PM
My ex and I had only been dating for 3 months, when she passed away. I'd only met her 2 times.
I never met my current hubby's mother, before she passed away. He hadn't talked to her in several years.

hollydaze1974
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 4:45 PM
I love my in laws, both of them. They are wonderful to us, however, LIVING. With them , I'm sure would be way different!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ChancesMommy07
by Bronze Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 5:10 PM

Most people had a hard time being around my MIL. She was an untreated bipolar schizophrenic. She could go from sweet and happy one minute to violent manic the next. But she was my husbands mother and when she was dying of Metastatic breast CA I was there to take care of her every single day.

MinglingMom
by Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 5:15 PM
1 mom liked this

I get along with mine, however, I can only take her in doses. I know she means well and is so excited to have a grandbaby but she's constantly complaining about how far DH and I lived and how we should've moved closer to her. If we had... neither of use would find work in our career base and I would NEVER have a moment of peace and I have no doubt that she'd be over ALL of the time.

Lionpaw
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 5:37 PM

I feel so sorry! At least she is making an effort to see your little one!

I never meet DH's mom. She had passed away before I even knew DH!

trin123
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 5:40 PM
1 mom liked this

I love my MIL she has been awesome to me. She is a really sweet person. My mom died last year and ever since then she has kind of helped me in times when I could have used my mom. Especially during this pregnancy and as its my first I get really down about not having my mom around but she relieves that pain just a bit. She is still not my real mother but I appreciate her intentions none the less.

RatherBeReading
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 6:44 PM

Mine passed away in 2004, but she was a wonderful MIL. She spoiled my oldest like crazy, and taught her a whole lot.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)