Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help with gaining weight!

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 10:52 PM
  • 7 Replies
Have had some health issues over the last year and need to gain weight. Have lost 20 pounds. Cant be anything acidic because I have reflux or hard to chew as my swallowing got affected by reflux. I purchased 500 calorie skandi shakes and taste great and ice cream makes gerd worse :( Maybe puree some foods?! Idk..
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 10:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
paganmommy4
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 11:26 PM

HERBALIFE WILL HELP YOU MAINTAIN and is SUPER HEALTHY AND GOOD FOR YOU.. Please message me if you are interested

ardiaxe
by Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 12:51 AM
1 mom liked this

Can you do eggs?  I ate lots of omelets in order to gain weight, I gained ten pounds in a month.  Avocados are also great.  Are you taking something for the Reflux?

SallyB_LMT
by Bronze Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 1:08 AM

First off, are you allergic to anything?  I would probably do bland stuff, mashed potatoes and peas, bananas, rice pudding...high calories without anything too difficult to swallow or digest.  Dh has crohn's, so I can sort of relate.

hollydaze1974
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 1:45 AM
Carnation Instant breakfast is good. Pasta.... Mmm all of it you can use Alfredo sauce instead of marina... Even more calories.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mumsy2three
by Shauna on Mar. 3, 2013 at 7:16 AM
1 mom liked this

Not sure if this will help you. It's an article on How to Gain Weight on a High Protein diet.

Gaining weight by increasing body fat is a matter of eating more calories than your body needs. Gaining weight by building more muscle is not only a matter of consuming a larger number of calories, but also ensuring you eat plenty of protein. High-protein diets to build your muscle mass and increase your muscular strength require that you eat 0.8 to 1 g of protein per pound of your body weight daily, according to the National Strength and Conditioning Association.

Step 1

Assess the number of calories you are currently eating to maintain your body weight. Add 500 to 1,000 calories to this calorie total so that you gain 1 to 2 lbs. per week.

Step 2

Create six meals per day on a spreadsheet with six columns and several rows, dividing your total number of calories equally between each meal. Distribute your total intake of protein between each of your meals as well. List the components of each meal, beginning with your sources of protein. Include the time of day, name of the food, number of calories, and grams of protein, carbs and fat. Adjust the portion size of your protein-rich foods so you consume the necessary grams of protein while staying within the required number of calories.

Step 3

Prepare your protein foods ahead of time, ensuring you consume all the protein you need to gain weight. Cook six to eight chicken breasts over the weekend. Make a pot of lean beef stew, portioning your meat evenly between each serving. Boil one to two dozen eggs, peel them and store them in your fridge for the week.

(Since you have swallowing issues maybe shredding the beef and chicken would be easier to swallow)

Step 4

Drink a high-protein shake before and after your resistance training workouts. Use two scoops of whey protein powder in each shake, averaging approximately 24 g of protein per scoop. Blend your protein powder with cow milk, not soy milk, optimizing weight gain from muscle tissue growth, according to a 2010 article published in the "Strength and Conditioning Journal."

Step 5

Complete a muscle-building resistance training routine three days per week, increasing your weight by gaining muscle. Work your chest, back and calves on Mondays, your legs and shoulders on Wednesdays, and your biceps, triceps and abdominals on Fridays. Incorporate four to six sets of four exercises per muscle group. Use a moderate amount of weight so you can only complete 6 to 12 repetitions per set, and rest for one to two minutes between sets.

Tips and Warnings

• Limit your aerobic exercise to a brisk walk of 30 minutes three to five days a week, maintaining your cardiovascular fitness. Excessive aerobic exercise is counterproductive to increasing your weight, whether you want to gain muscle or fat.
  • Eat from all the food groups to reduce your risk of nutrient deficiencies while on a high protein diet.
sagesell79
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 7:42 AM

Wow..thank you evryone! I will start with these ideas today! And yes on plenty of antacids and prescription reflux medicne :( No allergies to food than God, though!

Luv.My.Kidz
by Bronze Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 7:47 AM
1 mom liked this

Have you talked with your Dr about the weight loss? Does he have any suggestions to help re-gain some or all of the weight back? 

My suggestion honestly has nothing to do with "gain weight fast" antics, but to talk to your Dr and get his suggestion. Your Dr knows your body, knows your ailments and can suggest the best things for your body!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)