Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need some books re: kids staying home when we go on vacation

Posted by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 12:12 AM
  • 8 Replies

My hubby and I are going to Italy for our 10th anniversary. I need some books that explore/explain/introduce the idea for my 4 year old. He has NEVER been left alone overnight (WIll go to sleep for a sitter,but we are always there in the morning). He will be staying with my sister - who he adores. We plan to SKYPE with him daily, as  long as it does not seem to be creating a problem for him. Please help!

by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 12:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
SallyB_LMT
by Bronze Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 1:00 AM

How long will you be gone and how soon do you leave?  If it's not for a while, I might send him over to spend the night at your sister's house, so he has an idea of what it's like.

JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on Mar. 3, 2013 at 1:04 AM
I agree try it for a night or two before you go.
I want to go to Italy for my 10th anniversary next month :(
Have fun!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mumsy2three
by Shauna on Mar. 3, 2013 at 7:09 AM

Quoting SallyB_LMT:

How long will you be gone and how soon do you leave?  If it's not for a while, I might send him over to spend the night at your sister's house, so he has an idea of what it's like.

I agree.

goldilocksbecky
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 7:24 AM

I agree, I don't think a book will be nearly as beneficial as a few opportunities to actually practice staying overnight.

boys2mama
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 12:57 PM

We are leaving March18th, and my sister lives 2.5 hours away! As I said he adores her, when we go visit there or they come here, he always wants to ride in her car (when we go run errands) and wants her to do his bath time. She has a 7 yo and twin 4 yo - all girls. The twins are 2 months younger than him. I wish there was time and $$ to make an earlier trip. His teacher said to just talk about it with him. I was looking for a book, because he LOVES books and has made comparisons - in the past - where a book imitates something in our lives. When my hubby and I go out, we tell him we are going to a 'big people party' and that there will not be other children or toys there. Not sure if he would buy that line for 9 days. Perhaps I am making a mountain out of a mole hill, but when we are local, I tell the sitter if there is a problem we are only 20 minutes away. We have never had to rush home for him, so that is a good thing.

Sorry that was a bit all over the place!

Aamy
by Bronze Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 12:59 PM
1 mom liked this
Tell him mommy and daddy are goimg on a trip and he is goimg on a special trip to his aunts house.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SallyB_LMT
by Bronze Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 2:22 PM

Mom & Dad Come Back Soon

That was the only one I could find that addressed parents being away.  However, you might check with your library and see what they reccomend.  :) 

e-doolittle
by Kelly on Mar. 3, 2013 at 2:24 PM

You could create a social story using pictures of you and words describing your situation.  There are quite a few apps out there or you could make one if you don't have a "smart" mobile.

This helps my DS understand situations alot.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)