Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

15 yo punishment

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 3:11 PM
  • 8 Replies

What would be some good punishment jobs for a 15 year old? My SS kicked in our front door and broke our door frame. What would be some good jobs around the house for him to work off the money we will have to put out to fix it? So far I thought of washing the windows and cleaning our laundry room... 

by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 3:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
LuckyMom822
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 3:19 PM

Shoot he would do everything that you normally do and then some. Like cooking dinner, washing dishes, doing laundry, sweeping and mopping, cleaning the bathrooms. Everything!

ruby_jewel_04
by Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 3:23 PM
1 mom liked this

If my kid broke the door he'd be doing all the REALLY hard jobs, PLUS his normal chores. Chopping wood, pulling weeds, mowing the lawn. EVERYTHING. That kind of behavior is unacceptable, and just making him do a little cleaning in my mind is just a slap on the wrist. 

ooCherryo0
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 8:02 PM

We are going to have him do yard work this summer. There is still snow outside so no real yard work. Tomorrow he is going to be his dad and mines slave. I told dh that I would be making him a list of things to do when he comes to the house. No school for him so he has all day. I don't know what his deal is lately. He used to have an attitue with us and would steal little things from us but recently it has gotten a lot worse. Money has come up missing... My itouch was missing for over a month and every time I asked him about it he would say he has't seen it. Well about 2 weeks ago he had one that he said he barrowed from his friend. I kinda looked it over but he had erased all my stuff from it. Well couple weeks goes by and he still has it and my dh asked him to look at it. He asks him for the passcode and ss says that he doesn't know it so my dh plugs it into the computer and it came up Kristine's Ipod. I was more hurt then mad that he would steal from me and lie to us. So he is grounded and doesn't get his licence for a year because of the lying and stealing. Now he is breaking my house. 

SallyB_LMT
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 8:22 PM

Get him a shovel and send him outside, if he's got that kind of energy...  It sounds like he needs a real job where he can get some money of his own and not have to steal it from you guys.  Does he get an allowance or money for jobs around the house?  Does he live with you guys most of the time or his mom?  Cleaning is good, I would have him do the drudge stuff like cleaning out the fridge and scrubbing the oven...lol  Does he have anything of value?  I would have him give you his things in repayment for his debt.  If this was not your house he would be paying with real money or time, or selling his things to pay back his actions.  I would also make him help fix the door.  If it was an accident it would still be the same, he needs to take care of other people's things as he would want them to take care of his stuff.  Bonus, he will learn how to fix a door...

miselanious
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 9:09 PM
15 is a tough age. Old enough to know better. Young enough to not be able to work a real job. I think you are onto a good start of what you chose. It is hard when it's winter outside. I guess if it was mine I would make him volunteer at a local shelter. It may take tie on your behalf as well to get him in and make sure he sticks with it and back home but it would be worth it. It would teach him to be greatful for what he has and helping others. This age is hard for sure.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
AuntieMom101
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 12:08 AM
We live on a sma farm so we do manual labor for breaking rules.... And there is no such thing as bending the rule. You either follow it or you are breaking it. The jobs chosen are dependent upon the rule broken. We also take things away on top of the labor. My favorite chore is picking up rocks. The kids hate it so I love to give that one out lol.
proud2bemomma
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 7:57 AM
My 13 year old has a nasty habit of lying and stealing. (He is receiving therapy, loooonnnggg story). Anyway when he steals we remove everything from his room except his clothes, toothbrush, etc, no privelages like tv/ technology. He has to earn it back slowly by doing what is expected of him in school and at home daily. Seems to be working, the incidences are fewer and farther between. If my son destroyed my personal property by kicking in a door I would be pointing out that this is also a crime and he'd have the same punishment, with all the extra chores! The real world does not tolerate that kind of behavior so he must learn that at home. Good luck!!
TCain0001
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 8:02 AM

Honey, his behavior definitely wouldn't fly in my house.......not only would I work his butt off, but, if that didn't work, he'd be finding himself in one of those teen boot camps.  Trust me, they'd bust his butt, and then he'd only WISH it was limited to household chores!

As for stuff to have him do, do you have a garage?  If you do, make him clean it from top to bottom.....including sweeping......that should keep him busy for a while!

Quoting ooCherryo0:

We are going to have him do yard work this summer. There is still snow outside so no real yard work. Tomorrow he is going to be his dad and mines slave. I told dh that I would be making him a list of things to do when he comes to the house. No school for him so he has all day. I don't know what his deal is lately. He used to have an attitue with us and would steal little things from us but recently it has gotten a lot worse. Money has come up missing... My itouch was missing for over a month and every time I asked him about it he would say he has't seen it. Well about 2 weeks ago he had one that he said he barrowed from his friend. I kinda looked it over but he had erased all my stuff from it. Well couple weeks goes by and he still has it and my dh asked him to look at it. He asks him for the passcode and ss says that he doesn't know it so my dh plugs it into the computer and it came up Kristine's Ipod. I was more hurt then mad that he would steal from me and lie to us. So he is grounded and doesn't get his licence for a year because of the lying and stealing. Now he is breaking my house. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN