Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

How old is too old??

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 3:15 PM
  • 34 Replies

I am 35 and had my first child almost 2 years ago. I would like to try for a little girl soon, but DH just isn't ready yet. How much longer can we wait before I'm too old to be thinking about having another baby? I would like some outside input! Thanks!

by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 3:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LuckyMom822
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 3:23 PM
1 mom liked this

I would talk to my doctor and take their advice. Every person is different.

jackiewal10
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 3:29 PM

Well, at 35, you have already hit the age that most doctors would consider you high risk.  You've already had a baby, so that does works in your favor.  Otherwise, it's really more a personal decision.  *I* would want my kids closer in age.  Is your DH ever going to be ready or do you think he's really just trying to delay you because he doesn't want anymore?

Cate1129
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 3:36 PM

Quoting jackiewal10:

Well, at 35, you have already hit the age that most doctors would consider you high risk.  You've already had a baby, so that does works in your favor.  Otherwise, it's really more a personal decision.  *I* would want my kids closer in age.  Is your DH ever going to be ready or do you think he's really just trying to delay you because he doesn't want anymore?

I'm not sure DH will ever be ready. He wasn't ready for our DS but he loves him dearly! I just told him when I was 33 that I wasn't going to wait anymore, and that if he didn't want kids just to be honest. He did want a baby, fatherhood just scared him. When I told him we needed to do something if we were going to do anything he got on board. I wasn't even sure I could get pregnant, but I was within 3 months of our TTC. So, I guess I'm going to give him a little more time. If we try later and it doesn't happen, I'm content with the child we have. I would just like him to have a sister someday if possible!

Pukalani79
by Kris on Mar. 4, 2013 at 3:41 PM
2 moms liked this

I think you and your DH need to sit down and have a chat about what the plan is.  It's a very personal decision as far as when to stop.  Also, get input from your doctor

Dustinsmomjen
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 1:27 AM
1 mom liked this

I am currently taking Childhood Education classes and it is recommended not having a baby after 35 because of the health risks to you and the baby (down syndrome is more prevelant). It hit me that I will be 35 in September and my baby making days are almost over. I have 2 beautiful children and I am happy. If you really want another, I would do it ASAP so it does not affect yours and the baby's health.

MummiMayI
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 1:28 AM

Quoting LuckyMom822:

I would talk to my doctor and take their advice. Every person is different.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Lindsay4Ambit
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 1:32 AM

I had DS at 20 and don't want to wait more that 3 years between kids my age aside. (he's 15m now) I'd talk to your doctor and your husband again and explain the gap may very well be closing. 

chcon
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 1:35 AM
1 mom liked this
I had my children at 32, 34, 35 (almost 36), and 38. Yes, risks go up, but if you are healthy and feel up to having another, that is your decision. My sister also had a baby at 38 - but hers was a complete surprise whereas mine were not. My limit was 40, I did not want to be pregnant at or after 40.
ScrChk23
by Amanda on Mar. 5, 2013 at 4:21 AM
Agreed

Quoting Pukalani79:

I think you and your DH need to sit down and have a chat about what the plan is.  It's a very personal decision as far as when to stop.  Also, get input from your doctor

MiddleAgeMess
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 4:26 AM
My ex mil had 10 kid's in 18 years, starting when she was 22. (all single births)

The 3rd oldest is mentally retarded. The youngest, which she had at 40, is above normal.

Quoting Dustinsmomjen:

I am currently taking Childhood Education classes and it is recommended not having a baby after 35 because of the health risks to you and the baby (down syndrome is more prevelant). It hit me that I will be 35 in September and my baby making days are almost over. I have 2 beautiful children and I am happy. If you really want another, I would do it ASAP so it does not affect yours and the baby's health.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN