Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

I need some help y'all!

Posted by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 5:26 PM
  • 13 Replies

Ok, so DH and I are trying to eat better. However we grew up eating that good Cajun food which means pretty much everything is fried or over rice. Not healthy at all. 

What are some recipes you guys cook? Especially vegetables or side dishes. We usually eat corn, carrots or sweet peas. We need ways to incorporate more vegetables into our diets. We are planning on starting a garden so if any of you have tips on that I'll take those as well. 

Thanks in advance!

by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 5:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tweety55704
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 5:35 PM

As for the garden, I am not sure where you live and that kind of plays a part in what will grow really well.  We live in Northern MN out in the country and we usually grow your "generic" veggies....corn, peas (you will need to put posts and fencing up when they start to grow), beans (usually bush beans, I like these better then climbing vines), radishes, carrots, tomatoes and peppers.  We also do a lot of freezing and canning in the fall and towards the end of summer.  Our kids actually tend to prefer veggies out of the garden rather then bought at the store so in the winter time we have a harder time getting them to get.  I love just sautaing veggies in a pan with a little olive oil, salt and pepper.  A lot of the times we just experiement, when having eggs we saute and chop up green peppers and onions and mix them up with the eggs.  I also I watch a lot of Food Network!

countrymomma81
by Platinum Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 8:20 PM

Quoting tweety55704:

As for the garden, I am not sure where you live and that kind of plays a part in what will grow really well.  We live in Northern MN out in the country and we usually grow your "generic" veggies....corn, peas (you will need to put posts and fencing up when they start to grow), beans (usually bush beans, I like these better then climbing vines), radishes, carrots, tomatoes and peppers.  We also do a lot of freezing and canning in the fall and towards the end of summer.  Our kids actually tend to prefer veggies out of the garden rather then bought at the store so in the winter time we have a harder time getting them to get.  I love just sautaing veggies in a pan with a little olive oil, salt and pepper.  A lot of the times we just experiement, when having eggs we saute and chop up green peppers and onions and mix them up with the eggs.  I also I watch a lot of Food Network!

Thanks! I live in South Louisiana. It's mostly hot here, unless it's super cold...lol. 

tweety55704
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 8:31 PM

Glad I could help!  Good Luck!

e-doolittle
by Kelly on Mar. 5, 2013 at 11:11 PM

Start with small changes as they add up to big impact.  They have better chances of sticking as lifestyle changes.

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Mar. 6, 2013 at 7:13 AM

Baked foods over brown rice are healthy choices and wouldn't be that different from what you are used to if you add spices to increase the flavor. Or if you can try grilling meats instead of frying. 

Any frozen veggie steamed is a quick way cooking healthy choice, try different veggies and mixes. Serving salad with dinner increases veggie intake too.

Allrecipes is a great site to get new ideas from.

ruby_jewel_04
by Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 7:26 AM
This is basically what I was going to say. :) good luck! I'm mobile but will try to link to some recipes I like later.

Quoting mumsy2three:

Baked foods over brown rice are healthy choices and wouldn't be that different from what you are used to if you add spices to increase the flavor. Or if you can try grilling meats instead of frying. 

Any frozen veggie steamed is a quick way cooking healthy choice, try different veggies and mixes. Serving salad with dinner increases veggie intake too.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
countrymomma81
by Platinum Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 7:55 AM

Quoting mumsy2three:

I joined Allrecipes.com and I'm thinking of doing the menu planner thing they offer. It would be almost $23 for two years. I like the way everything is set up on that site. 

countrymomma81
by Platinum Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 7:56 AM

I would appreciate that, thanks. 

Quoting ruby_jewel_04:

This is basically what I was going to say. :) good luck! I'm mobile but will try to link to some recipes I like later.

Quoting mumsy2three:

Tckosdk.2012
by Bronze Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 9:32 AM

I tend to grill alot of my meals. I do grilled boneless chicken, salmon or pork over brown rice & veggies. I'm no help when it comes to gardening. I live in a big city where we don't have any land (not even a yard) to grow anything. I buy all my veggies at the market & tend to buy the bags of steamed veggies that you can put in the microwave. I buy a variety but our fav's are string beans, broccoli, calliflower, brussel sprouts & asparagus. I also buy fresh baby spinich & boil it. Good luck :)

G2Mama
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 10:43 AM

I love having a garden.  It is a lot of work though but worth it.  I freeze and can also so I have veggies at my disposable.  I recently found a great way to fix brussle sprouts.  Yes they are yummy!  Coat them with Pam, give them a hearty sprinkle of garlic salt and pepper bake them at 350 for like 45 minutes shaking the pan every 10 - 15 minutes so they cook evenly.  They will surprise you!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN