Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Selective Mutism

Posted by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 10:21 PM
  • 12 Replies

Hi, I am wanting to chat to mothers of children with selective Mutism. My daughter who is now 5 has what we think is selective mutism. She started Kindy last year and would not talk to anyone except her cousin. They said oh she is very shy. Which we thought she was. Then at the end of they year our kindy gives the school a transition letter and it had Charlotte was a selective mute. I thought to myself " thats a clever way to put it" Then I googled it and it is actually a real thing. She started school this year still not talking to anyone and they are working with her to build a trust with her. She comes home and she is the most happy, talkative little girl. It breaks my heart everyday she goes to school and is unable to have enough confidence to talk and laugh and have fun with all the other kids.

by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 10:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KylesMom409
by Linnette on Mar. 5, 2013 at 10:33 PM
1 mom liked this
Here's a bump for you. I hope she opens up at school so she can enjoy time spent with friends. Hugs!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
diaperstodating
by Angel on Mar. 5, 2013 at 10:34 PM
Bump
LuckyMom822
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 10:35 PM

My dd was this way when she was that young. She was painfully shy. Not shy. Painfully shy. I didn't realize she wasn't talking until one day she came out of her shell and she spoke to her preschool teacher. Her teacher said It was nice to her Briana talk today. I said What do you mean. And she said Bri never talks. I was floored. She had been at this school for almost a whole school year. The teacher was shocked when I told her that wasn't normal for her. She has grown out of it for the most part. She is 14. She cheers, plays softball, everything. But put her by herself in front of an audience and she will get so nervous her nose will bleed. She will get quiet if she is in a new situation.

e-doolittle
by Kelly on Mar. 5, 2013 at 11:05 PM

bump

ardiaxe
by Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 12:41 AM
1 mom liked this

I had this in Kindergarten and remember how painful it was to have.  I never talked to my teacher or classmates.  I remember being afraid of the reactions people would have if they heard my voice for the first time and that was by far the hardest thing to deal with.  My teacher would beg me to talk and that made it even worse.  I had to repeat Kindergarten because of this.  

The only thing that helped me was moving up to first grade.  It was a new teacher that seemed oblivious to my selective mutism and treated me like everyone else.  I was expected to read aloud like everyone else and so it was my chance to be heard without a reaction.  I went from complete silence to getting in trouble for talking too much in class, I was so excited to feel free to talk.  

There is a documentary that was made about children with selective mutism, not sure if YouTube has it, but it is extremely insightful.  Please be sure her teacher never points out her silence or requests that she talks, it really makes it harder.  If she is to start talking the best start is by reading out loud, or imitating someone else. Have you sat with her for a day in class?  Observing her in class may give you some insight into why she has chosen to be silent.  

Anyway, this was a time in my life that I will never forget, lots of love and support will get her through this.

ardiaxe
by Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 12:44 AM

The documentary is on YouTube, just checked.  It's called "My Child Won't Speak".

Dabberdoo
by Bronze Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 1:12 AM
I gave piano lessons to a little girl with selective mutism. It is a manifestation of anxiety. I hope some moms here can help you.
Brandistar
by Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 1:15 AM

I am not a mother of a child with it, but I just read about it a few months ago and realized that was what I had all my years growing up. I finally outgrew it once I had kids of my own. I am still a bit shy, but not NEARLY what I used to be. I was always known as "the girl that never talks" "the shy one" "the quiet one" and my best friends dad called me "speechless" lol

luvhugz08
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 1:22 AM

MY 10YROLD WAS THAT WAY WHEN SOMETHIMG STRIKES HER INTREST DONT WORRY IT WILL HAPPEN SHE WILL LET THE WORDS FLOW....OUT OF ALL 8 OF MINE MY ALLEY WAS THE ONLY ONE WHO DIDNT HAVE MUCH SAY TILL 3RD GRADE...SHE MADE HER FIRST FRIEND THEN AND JUST KINDA BLOOMED OVER NIGHT

Drelco
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 3:04 AM

Thank you to all that have replied to my post.. So it seems it is over time it will happen :) I cant wait... Her teacher is amazing with her. Never pushes her to speak but still continues to chat to her and include her in everything.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)