Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Thyroid issues

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 3:08 PM
  • 10 Replies

Hey ladies. I had my sweet baby boy 5 months ago and the last month I have been so tired I can barely keep my eyes open, and it's not from lack of sleep cause he sleeps 10 hours through. I also can starve myself and not lose a pound it's so frustrating. My dr said it may be my thyroid from pregnacy. So I'm going to have blood work next week. Has anyone else experienced this after pregnacy and did it get better?? I would appreciate any feedback on this subject. Thanks ladies

by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 3:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
dearg76
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 3:24 PM
1 mom liked this

I have had thyroid issues for years, I have a auto immune disease called Hashimoto's and its a Thyroid disorder. I had it before I was pregnant and its the reason I had such a hard time getting pregnant because of it. After I had my daughter I went through what my Endocrinologist (thyroid dr) called PostPartum Thyroiditis. Look it up online. Basically your thyroid levels get jacked after pregnancy and can cause all sorts of problems. 

You doctor will probably just put you on thryoid meds (I currently am on levothyroxine) they will help boost your levels to where they need to be. You will have to have labs done every so often to make sure your levels stay in the normal ranges.

Mine went back to what is normal for me (after my pregnancy I went from my normal slow (hypo) to fast (hyper)) for about a year. Because of my condition, most people with it have this issue after pregnancy, my doctor kept an eye on me and had my labs drawn every 2 weeks for the 1st 2 months, then to each month for 4 more. you probably won't have to do so much.

Good luck

Lisadavid924
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 3:28 PM

Thanks so much for the info. I'm really hoping its goes back to normal soon I hate feeling like this :(

soymujer
by Gold Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 9:02 PM

I was just diagnosed with Graves' disease which is hyperactive thyroid about a year ago.  However, not pregnancy related.  My symptoms were not sleeping, irritated, and losing wright even when I ate tons.  I now am on meds and have to get my blood drawn every few months

family in the van   Mom of four

Dabberdoo
by Bronze Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 9:36 PM
I developed an under active thyroid after my second pregnancy. 8 years later I still take thyroid medication.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
OliviaW.
by Bronze Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 9:40 PM
1 mom liked this
This is what I have also. Though I've been lucky and have been off of all drug therapy for many years. I did have a irregular thyroid issues after having my second kid but it evened itself out without the need for pills. Good luck!

Quoting soymujer:

I was just diagnosed with Graves' disease which is hyperactive thyroid about a year ago.  However, not pregnancy related.  My symptoms were not sleeping, irritated, and losing wright even when I ate tons.  I now am on meds and have to get my blood drawn every few months

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
nurse1997
by Bronze Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 7:24 PM
1 mom liked this

Its possiable but alot of women really say that  this is there problem why they feel tired and its really not after the blood works done it usally comes back normal - get the test and see you wont know till you do but i wouldnt worry give your body some time to bounce back good luck doll 

ambertreas76
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 9:33 PM
1 mom liked this

I have been tired on and off for 5 years!!!  I treat myself homeopathically.  I have had bloodwork done and all looks fine,but I've also had great docs who are not in Big Pharmas pocket. Maybe you should try some really good supplements.  Maybe a good detox would help you.  It helped me beyond belief.  I'm not one to opt for meds because most of them cause other issues if they're not TRULY needed.

Also, your hormones can be off-track for up to a year after giving birth.  

countrymomma81
by Platinum Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 10:24 PM

I have those issues and I've had my thyroid checked and they say it's fine. I am super tired all the time and have almost no energy to do anything at all. I make myself do things but I'm always exhausted. 

FooLynRoo
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 10:26 PM

Sorry I have Hashimoto's mine won't ever get better, im on meds for life.

soymujer
by Gold Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 6:31 PM

Thanks!  I'm on pills now and will go off in July or so and see where we go from there

Quoting OliviaW.:

This is what I have also. Though I've been lucky and have been off of all drug therapy for many years. I did have a irregular thyroid issues after having my second kid but it evened itself out without the need for pills. Good luck!

Quoting soymujer:

family in the van   Mom of four

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)