Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Name Change?

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 7:50 PM
  • 24 Replies

I'm divorced.  In my first marriage I hyphenated my last name, and I've kept it that way.  My daughter has my ex-husband's last name, same as the second half of my last name.  She lives with me full time.  If I were to get married again, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't really want to change my name, and that may be a sore subject, almost a slap in the face, to SO.  I'm sure he'd not be too keen on that.  I wouldn't want everyone is the house to have one last name, and my daughter to be the lone one out.  Am I being silly?  Does something like that matter anymore in this day and age.

by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 7:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
conniejo75
by Bronze Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 7:52 PM
My kids have a different last name than me. No one even questions it in today's day and age. I work in insurance and nowadays I see more families with multiple last names than I do families that have all same name.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Shoesy
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 7:56 PM

I know that is common, but I was wondering if she would be feeling unintentionally ostracized if she wound up living with myself and 3 others who all had one name, and only she had something else.  Currently it's just the two of us, and a lot of the time I go by just my maiden name, unless I'm doing something for her at school or signing a legal document.

LuckyMom822
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 7:58 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't think kids care nowadays. It's quite common.

conniejo75
by Bronze Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 7:59 PM
I think us as adults put more weight on a name than kids do.

Quoting Shoesy:

I know that is common, but I was wondering if she would be feeling unintentionally ostracized if she wound up living with myself and 3 others who all had one name, and only she had something else.  Currently it's just the two of us, and a lot of the time I go by just my maiden name, unless I'm doing something for her at school or signing a legal document.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Shoesy
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 8:39 PM

Thank you.  You're right, I'm sure I think about it way more than she ever would, though many times she has told me she wanted her name to be the same as my maiden name, like the rest of her family, and sometimes calls herself by that name. I would have done that in a second, but there's no way my ex-husband would sign off on that.

starlight91
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 11:39 PM

Good luck in whatever you decide with your name...

erikadi
by Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 9:34 AM

How about you keep your maiden name and hyphenate it with so's name when you get married? I would change your daughter's  to the new hyphenated name unless she specifically says she doesn't want to.

Briesmom38
by Gold Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 9:48 AM

After my divorce I kept my ex's last name, this way I have the same last name as my daughter, it really makes things a lot easier, espeically since I have full-sole custody of her.  My SO and I have been together for over 7 years.  At this point in our life we are very happy on how our relationship is so we have no plans on getting married.  My dd who's 11 asks us every now and then to get married because she would like to have the same last name as my SO, since he's her dad.  She doesn't get how complicated a name change for her would be, I've actually looked into it.  

** It's 5 O'clock Somewhere **

conniejo75
by Bronze Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 9:50 AM
You can't change a childs name without the other parent agreeing.

Quoting erikadi:

How about you keep your maiden name and hyphenate it with so's name when you get married? I would change your daughter's  to the new hyphenated name unless she specifically says she doesn't want to.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
erikadi
by Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 10:07 AM

Good to know.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN