Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Grrrrrreat....I can't get sick here!

Posted by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:39 AM
  • 7 Replies

I'm sick.  It takes me a long time to admit when I am sick.  Though, in my defense.....for a while I wasn't sure if my problem right now was allergies or if I am really sick (I started coughing as soon as spring began here and the trees started blooming....I have no clue what new allergies I will have here....so I chalked it up to allergies for a while).  When I started getting chills - I knew it was more than allergies.  They lasted for two days, but then I started to feel a bit better...so I still didnt go to a doctor.  I finally gave in yesterday and saw a doc because I have a NASTY, and painful, cough....my throat is killing me.....and my sinuses are completely congested.  Fine.

Im at the doc and he said it is not in my lungs (thank G-d).  He gave me a prescription for the congestion and URI.  Then we talked about my cough.  He asked if I was allergic to any medicines and there is ONE thing I am allergic to......codeine. He asked me a TON of questions about my allergy and what exactly happens if I have it. I didn't know why he was getting so detailed...though this was my first time seeing a doc here, so I figured it was for my records.  Nope.  He then explained to me that for my nasty cough he -would- highly recommend a cough medicine.....but he can't because of all of the cough meds here (at least with adult strengths) have codeine in them!!!  He said I should ask at the pharmacy if they have any herbal meds that might help a cough....no luck yet.

So, lucky me.....I guess I am never allowed to have a cold/cough again! :-/

by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:43 AM
Oh no! Feel better.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lalasmama2007
by Ticia on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:43 AM

Oh, that stinks!  I hope you're feeling better soon!

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Mar. 7, 2013 at 6:55 AM

Hope your feeling better soon. Can you have honey? That is a natural cough remedy.

starlight91
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 7:59 AM

Hope you feel better soon... Google would be the first thing you should check, for natural home remedies...

mamaslilpunkin
by Bronze Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 8:04 AM

The last time i had a nasty cold virus,I had a really bad cough and got some of that cough medicine with codeine your doc spoke of.That stuff is heaven sent!

TableforSeven
by Judy on Mar. 7, 2013 at 1:37 PM

Quoting mamaslilpunkin:

The last time i had a nasty cold virus,I had a really bad cough and got some of that cough medicine with codeine your doc spoke of.That stuff is heaven sent!

Heaven-sent unless you are allergic to codeine.  I'd rather keep coughing then end up in the hospital (or worse).

TableforSeven
by Judy on Mar. 7, 2013 at 1:38 PM

Quoting mumsy2three:

Hope your feeling better soon. Can you have honey? That is a natural cough remedy.

Tea with honey is my friend. :-)    It is just going to take a while to get over this dang cough.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN