Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Is it terrible I'm happy he didn't get first?

Posted by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 5:08 PM
  • 4 Replies

My 5 year old always gets first.  I don't want to hold him back and keep him from doing his best but I believe there is a lot to be learned from not being first all of the time.

He placed second in the science fair.  He is bummed but I love the opportunity it gives him to grow as a person and learn how to be happy for the one who did get first.    There were only 3 kindergarteners so second is right in the middle lol.

Is it terrible that I'm happy he has this experience as well?  Physical ability is his weakness, academics his strength.  Since everything he has done competetively so far has been academic while sports have the "everybody wins" theory he's just not used to losing.

I don't know I just feel the second place ribbon (or even a third) is far better for him than that first would have been.  And I'm happy the two little girls who did the first place project together had a chance to shine.  They worked hard and they deserve it :)

Is that terrible?

Being a full-time mother is one of the highest salaried jobs in my field, since the payment is pure love.  ~Mildred B. Vermont
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 5:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
clarabear
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 5:26 PM

No, I do not thin that is terrible.  Us as adults know that there will be times in life that you will no be in first place.  I know when my daughter was playing softball and if the team did not win h game there were parents that would get so upset and pin point everything that each player did wrong.  You cannot do that to kids.  All that matters is that they/you do your best at what ever it is that they/you are aiming for

LuckyMom822
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 5:52 PM

Not at all. Life is full of disappointments so learning how to get over them and learn from them is a great lesson. I know so many people who get disappointed once and never try again. 

HeathersRich
by Silver Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 6:27 PM
My son plays sports almost year round. This season his basketball team stated out the year winning every game. When the lost there first game because they were playing something awful his coach told the boys she was glad they had finally lost one so they could see how it felt and know that you have to work hard and can't always win. Not winning can be a valuable lesson as long as you can feel a win at some point. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ScrChk23
by Amanda on Mar. 7, 2013 at 6:51 PM
Not terrible. It will teach him to share the limelight.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)