• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Blending families

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 12:00 PM
  • 4 Replies

I have been dating a man for over a year now and the discussion of moving in together has come up more than once. It won't happen for a least another year because we both have recently decided to resign our leases where we each live. I have 2 kids from a previous marriage that go with their dad every other weekend and wednesday evenings. My BF has 2 kids from a previous marriage that he has 100% of the time...no breaks, other parent has been absent for 3 years now and lives accross the counrty so the situation isn't going to likely change anytime soon. I am terrified that I am going to resent his children because they are always around while mine go with their dad for a while. I have been divorced for over 3 years and have become used to my alone time. Is that horrible of me to think? Is this the case with anyone else? I love his boys, it would just be strange to have them around all the time when I don't have mine.

by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 12:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
LuckyMom822
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 12:06 PM
1 mom liked this

I understand completely! I would have to be able to go shopping, out with friends, or whatever when my dd is at her dads house. I cherish my alone time. 

Tckosdk.2012
by Bronze Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 12:42 PM

I think that sounds like a normal thing to be worried about. It will be an adjustment but you can work it out. Mabey use your weekends off from your dd to do things alone out side of the house like going shopping, getting your hair done or meet up with friends for lunch etc. This will also give your SO time alone with his boys.

breebree04
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 12:57 PM

I agree with this!

Quoting Tckosdk.2012:

I think that sounds like a normal thing to be worried about. It will be an adjustment but you can work it out. Mabey use your weekends off from your dd to do things alone out side of the house like going shopping, getting your hair done or meet up with friends for lunch etc. This will also give your SO time alone with his boys.

lcm3181
by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 12:19 PM

That sounds like a very good idea, a little "me time" never hurt anyone!

Quoting Tckosdk.2012:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)