Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

the doctor is stumped *update with question*

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:41 PM
  • 27 Replies

I posted yesterday about my dd who fell last Saturday and still won't straighten her leg. So today after the Celtic fair I took her to the ER. They looked at it and did some x- rays. Doctor thought he saw fluid in the knee but radiologist disagreed. They can't figure out what is wrong. She scraped it but they say it seems to be healing well. It's a little puffy but doesn't seem to be infected. He says he could see it causing her not to bend her knee but it's odd she won't straighten it. He has no answer for that.
He sent us home with (well they left it on the table) a tube of a stronger than you can buy over the counter topical antibiotic. We are to wash it with soap and water and put this medicine on it followed by gauze, tape, and an ace bandage.
But because they can't figure it out if anything changes for the worse we are supposed to immediately return to the er. Even a 100 degree fever or redness and we need to return. He's afraid there might be an infection lurking even though it isn't visible and she's not in the kind of pain he would expect for that. If it starts hurting worse back to the er. If she's not back to normal by Sunday morning back to the er.
Oh the joys of accident prone children :(

*question*

would you drive the 2 hours to the ER where they have pediatricians?  It seems to be a little worse today and the scrape looks like this so it has a fresh layer of skin.  I just don't think a wound this far healed should still be hurting this much.  She's avoiding walking on it today and when she does walk on it she's flopping sideways all over the place.

Being a full-time mother is one of the highest salaried jobs in my field, since the payment is pure love.  ~Mildred B. Vermont
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
2curly
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:46 PM

Oh no, I am so sorry.  I hope they figure out what it is.

elzmnsf
by Silver Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:49 PM
Poor little one! I fell moving us while dh was deployed and took of a lot of skin on my knee and it hurt like heck to bend or straighten. Every time I moved the scab would crack. It was winter in VA and I still wore shorts because the cloth against it was agony! I can only imagine how bad it would be for a little one!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kitty8199
by Bronze Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:51 PM
2 moms liked this
They need to do an MRI
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:52 PM
We are hoping that's all it is but the scab is mostly gone at this point too.

Quoting elzmnsf:

Poor little one! I fell moving us while dh was deployed and took of a lot of skin on my knee and it hurt like heck to bend or straighten. Every time I moved the scab would crack. It was winter in VA and I still wore shorts because the cloth against it was agony! I can only imagine how bad it would be for a little one!!

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:53 PM
I think that's the next step if this doesn't help.

Quoting kitty8199:

They need to do an MRI

exhaustedmother
by Bronze Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 5:05 AM

Hope she gets better soon and that there is nothing serious!

ambertreas76
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 9:09 AM

It may have nothing to do with an infection.  She may have pulled a tendon or muscle in her leg.  I'm a big supporter of homeopathic and natural medicine.  Maybe try a nice, warm Epsom salt bath for a couple of days.  You could even mix in some baking soda.  Works like a charm for cramps and pulled tendons.  It would also help to clean out infection if there is one lurking.  If it's cold where you are, it will only make muscle/tendon issues worse because cold makes our muscles and blood vessels tighten.

JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on Mar. 9, 2013 at 11:21 AM
I thought about doing that but wasn't sure if it would burn her scrape.

Quoting ambertreas76:

It may have nothing to do with an infection.  She may have pulled a tendon or muscle in her leg.  I'm a big supporter of homeopathic and natural medicine.  Maybe try a nice, warm Epsom salt bath for a couple of days.  You could even mix in some baking soda.  Works like a charm for cramps and pulled tendons.  It would also help to clean out infection if there is one lurking.  If it's cold where you are, it will only make muscle/tendon issues worse because cold makes our muscles and blood vessels tighten.

ambertreas76
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 11:57 AM

I actually soak my kids when they have scrapes and scratches.  They say it makes it feel better.  Then they sing me the Doc McStuffins song.  LOL!  

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

Quoting ambertreas76:

JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on Mar. 9, 2013 at 12:04 PM

Thanks I'll try it.  I'll feel strange about following up at the ER tomorrow.  So far there's no improvement.  I'm debating on going to a different ER if I do have to go back.  I mean there's stuff that can go wrong inside that won't show up on an x-ray.

Quoting ambertreas76:

I actually soak my kids when they have scrapes and scratches.  They say it makes it feel better.  Then they sing me the Doc McStuffins song.  LOL!  

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

Quoting ambertreas76:

Being a full-time mother is one of the highest salaried jobs in my field, since the payment is pure love.  ~Mildred B. Vermont
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)