Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Have to invite siblings?

Posted by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 6:18 PM
  • 18 Replies

How do you feel about parties and siblings? Do all your children have to be invited, or is it okay to invite one and not the others?

by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 6:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JoGibson
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 6:29 PM

No, all the kids do not have to be invited.  Some times it just is not age appropriate and it is a party the the birthday person and their friends.  Not all their friend's siblings.  Sooner or later the kids have to realize that they have seperate lives and friends.

illinoismommy83
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 6:31 PM

I do not think siblings need to be invited. I do however strongly feel that invites should be specific. Who is invited, are parents expected to stay, etc.

JoGibson
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 6:39 PM
I agree. I hate the guessing game. I know some consider it rude, but I love the parents who list gift ideas or child's interests on the invite too. Whenever I ask the kids what they like I get "I don't know"
Quoting illinoismommy83:

I do not think siblings need to be invited. I do however strongly feel that invites should be specific. Who is invited, are parents expected to stay, etc.

jlm2676
by Jen on Mar. 15, 2013 at 6:40 PM
Depends if your child is friends with both siblings. I used to invite old neighbors who had two girls to dds birthday parties. Dd used to play with both girls so I invited both of them. Now if it kids from dds class at school, no I do not invite their siblings. The last birthday party dd had I invited all of the girls in her class, one mother ended up invite her younger dd to the party. When she called to say her dd (my dds classmate) was coming, she also said her you get dd would be their too. I could not believe the mother had the balls to invite her younger dd to the party!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
illinoismommy83
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 6:46 PM

Totally agree! I don't understand how its rude to give ideas. DD has a friend who loves Iron Man and has a ton of Iron Man stuff and that is all he likes right now. How am I supposed to guess what Iron Man stuff he doesn't already own? I want to give a present that will be appreciated instead of something they already have 10 of. Same for girls... if you already have a Barbie fridge you don't need another one. You don't need multiple of the same Lalaloopsy.

Quoting JoGibson:

I agree. I hate the guessing game. I know some consider it rude, but I love the parents who list gift ideas or child's interests on the invite too. Whenever I ask the kids what they like I get "I don't know"
Quoting illinoismommy83:

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Mar. 15, 2013 at 6:53 PM

It's okay to invite one child. Not all have to attend.

JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on Mar. 15, 2013 at 6:58 PM

I've been wondering the same thing.  My son is invitiing some friends to six flags but friends, siblings, and parents will take so much to get in!  Thankfully I should have 9 bring a friend free passes.

SallyB_LMT
by Bronze Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 7:09 PM

Considering I have 4 kids and the younger ones aren't in school, I would say it really depends on the situation.  If it's a classmate, I don't expect them to invite siblings.  If it's a family friend with multiple ages of children and they invite one of my older 2 sons, not both of them (I have experienced this), I will be offended.  I don't expect the ones with significant age differences to invite my littlest ones or oldest ones, but in the case of kids close in age that usually play as a group I always invite the sibling/s.  Obviously, if your kid is friends with someone from school or a sports team you'll invite just that one and no siblings, but if your kid is friends with all of the siblings and they have had playdates etc, leaving one of them out is just rude, in my opinion.

SallyB_LMT
by Bronze Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 7:16 PM

What kind of party was it?  Was she staying to help out and didn't have a sitter?  I have had that problem before, where I was asked to stay but I couldn't find childcare for my youngest, so he had to come with us.  If she's dropping them off I would say that is exceptionally rude.  In that case, I would politely tell her that the younger dd is not invited to attend and this is for the older girls only.  Certainly she can find something special to do with little sister while big sister attends a party where she doesn't even know most of the girls.

Quoting jlm2676:

Depends if your child is friends with both siblings. I used to invite old neighbors who had two girls to dds birthday parties. Dd used to play with both girls so I invited both of them. Now if it kids from dds class at school, no I do not invite their siblings. The last birthday party dd had I invited all of the girls in her class, one mother ended up invite her younger dd to the party. When she called to say her dd (my dds classmate) was coming, she also said her you get dd would be their too. I could not believe the mother had the balls to invite her younger dd to the party!

Pukalani79
by Kris on Mar. 15, 2013 at 8:44 PM

I've seen invitations that say "siblings welcome, but you'll have to pay the x dollar amount for them." A lot of places charge per child so just brining along someone else doesn't make much sense to me.

Quoting jlm2676:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)