Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

oh nd women overpack?

Posted by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 1:55 AM
  • 11 Replies
Does anybody else have a hubby who packs everything except the important stuff? We are going to tahoe for our anniversary. Leaving in the morning kids are already at my parent's house. And I'm already missing them like crazy btw.
Anyways we were packing and hubby is wanting to bring things like snow boots (it's quite warm right now it's been close to 60 there all week), shorts, our big tube of toothpaste (I have a travel one packed), etc. The first time we went on vacation I let him pack and he filled the entire bed of the pick-up truck for a 2 night stay at a hotel next to the ocean!
Since then I have done all of the packing. A backpack of clothes each, a bag of food, water, camera, and coats and we are ready to go!
Anybody else have a hubby who is incapable of packing?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 1:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
isaacsmommy68
by Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 7:59 AM
Yes. I pack for me and the kids. He is on his own now. I like my bag organized and not thrown together 10 min before we leave.
Firewoman33
by Silver Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 8:16 AM
1 mom liked this

ha ha. Yes.

I took over while we were still dating. He would literally scoop his arms across his dresser throw it into the suitcase then open a couple of drawers and throw things in as well.  He would say wherever we are going will have stores. lol

Yeah I don't want to shop for underwear when on vaction. I don't think he has packed for himself in 7 years. 

OliviaW.
by Bronze Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 8:54 AM
I pack for the kids and myself dh is on his own.
occumommy
by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 10:43 AM

yes, we do not take any long trips, but ask the man to pack the diaperbag and we will have diapers, a huge tube of diaper cream, a bottle, no wipes and clothing for the wrong season. no toys, and maybe for good measure a medice syringe, but no meds...

TableforSeven
by Judy on Mar. 16, 2013 at 12:49 PM

Nope.  My husband keeps a list on his computer of what he needs whenever traveling (he used to travel a lot for work).  All he needs to do is plug in numbers for how much of each item he'll need (depends on the length of the trip) and he's set.

We actually have lists for each family member.....even the kids.  We just plug in numbers and everyone sets out their own stuff.  I always do the actual packing into suitcases because my 'Tetris ability' makes me able to fit A LOT into a small space.

lalasmama2007
by Ticia on Mar. 16, 2013 at 12:53 PM

My SO is the opposite.  He packs next to nothing.  He only  took one small carry-on bag on a 10 day trip to Orlando.  He is always forgetting important stuff.

SallyB_LMT
by Bronze Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 1:18 PM

My dh does not pack because I am OCD about that sort of thing.  I make a list, then I remember 20 things I forgot off the list, then I freak out...inevitably he has to talk me off the ledge.  If I let him pack we usually end up with too much of one thing and not enough of another.  Although, I sometimes will make him a list of things to get for me to pack.  The other thing he does, that drives me absolutely crazy, is the way he puts stuff in the car.  He just kind of crams it all in there and you can't get out the stuff you need.  It's infuriating, so I usually do all the packing and loading.  I let him do all the heavy lifting though, he has to put the overhead carrier on and carry out the luggage, cooler, etc.  If we're camping he has to repack the tent, I will help with the cleaning out and repacking everything, but we have an 8 person giant tent that is next to impossible to pack because the zipper broke on the stuff bag for it and now we have to tie it down.  We're going on a weeklong trip to my ILs house which is a 14 hour drive away and I am already starting to stress out about packing for it...gah

e-doolittle
by Kelly on Mar. 16, 2013 at 1:28 PM
DH overpacks but it is usually clothes
JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on Mar. 16, 2013 at 10:35 PM
And go figure he forgot his swim trunks! Just had to go buy some. Off to the spa!
WesternNYmom
by Alaina on Mar. 16, 2013 at 11:17 PM

My husband used to to do this until he found out how much an overpacked bag cost him to check at the airport. Now he only packs the basics for trips (clothes the he needs for the trip, an extra pair of shoes, toothbrush, comb, and his shave kit). He uses the shapoo and soap the hotel provides, and anything else like travel sized toothpaste, and ibprophen he will pick up at a local pharmacy near the hotel.  I do the same to avoid the hassle over having to fill smaller bottles with shampoo, conditioner and shower gel.  I just buy enough of these items to get me through the week and then discard the container before returning home.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN