Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

I've become that friend for my BFF **small update**

Posted by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 7:57 PM
  • 19 Replies

We've been friends for over 15 years. We've been through ups and downs together, we even had a near 3 year falling out. We've been there for each other for everything. But now, it seems that I am now a friend of convenience when times are hard for her. Things are finally looking up for her, and I am happy. How long this positive road will be for her, I don't know. I hope it lasts and she can stand on her own two feet for herself and her children. I've begun to notice in the last few months that she is distant. We don't hang out let alone talk as much as we did. I planned an evening at her house but DD had a meltdown in the store and I wasn't going to reward her behavior with seeing BFFs DD. I'll text her, message her and it's always brief. It hurts that we aren't as close as we were. But I guess our paths are finally drifting apart.

Yesterday after I got off work I sent BFF a text asking if she was home, figured DD and I would stop by and hang out for a bit. I didn't get a response so I continued on home and about 30 minutes later she said she was. So we headed over. Her DD was across the street at the Grandparents so we hung out for a good hour before she came over while her friend/roommate napped on the couch. She caught me up on a few things and explained why her house was in the condition it was in. (So not going there right now, lets just say, it's the worst I have ever seen it.)

I was there for like 3 hours (maybe less), and all I could do was bite my tongue on just about everything. Two grown women living in the house and it's trashed, the eldest child won't help clean, the other two sort of help but not really. She has issues with the eldest, blames it all on the Father and what he witnessed growing up with them...... Neither BFF or the friend/roommate have a job. She was cleaning two houses, I don't know if she does them anymore. I got her in contact with another woman, cleaned for her twice maybe and cleaned the womans MIL home, hasn't done either in nearly a month (she says that the lady is giving her the run around). The job she got hired for, it fell through she said, didn't want to get into with her so I left it at that.

So she and her friend/roommate visit the friend/roomates BF in county jail and his bunky (who ends up being a very old aquintance) every other week or so. Sitting around the house, running around.. basically being teenagers all over again.

My heart was just breaking. She has gone through so much, just when things really look good for her it all come crashing down for one reason or another. I've stood by her side, got her a job, gave her food, gave her money. I can't take watching her in a sense ruin her life as well as her children's the way that she is. I so badly wanted to have a heart-to-heart conversation on options for her, but it would be for nothing. I've had several conversations like that with her before and it was like talking to the wall. I wasn't going to waste my breath or time on another conversation.

When we left I told her to call/text me some time and maybe we can get the girls together again or maybe even meet at the park. On the way home I thought about the last 5 years or so since I moved back and we mended our friendship and everything that has happened. I didn't know what to think by the time I got home, but by this morning after I dropped DD off at daycare I knew what I had to do. As much as it bothered me that we were "drifting apart", it's for the best. I don't have the perfect life, perfect relationship, nor have I made the right decisions - but at least I am trying and not letting my life or the people in take me down. I grin and bear it and go to work every day because how else are bills going to get paid, how else am I going to keep a roof over my DD's head ... etc. So, I am quietly walking away from our 15+ year friendship...

CafeMom Tickers

by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 7:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
loveTHEviking
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 8:06 PM
I'm sorry to hear that :(. I have a friend like that. Her & I don't see each other as often as we used to & we barely talk. I miss her but the ball is in her court. I'll love her always but I'm tired of trying ya know. Its exhausting! Hang in there!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Garnet_Iris11
by Bronze Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 8:11 PM
That's about where I am. I'm just at a loss. I'm tired of being the one to reach out whether in good or bad. She's my one and only good friend that I can always count on. It's almost like I'm not good enough for her.

Quoting loveTHEviking:

I'm sorry to hear that :(. I have a friend like that. Her & I don't see each other as often as we used to & we barely talk. I miss her but the ball is in her court. I'll love her always but I'm tired of trying ya know. Its exhausting! Hang in there!
loveTHEviking
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 8:15 PM
1 mom liked this
Oh no... you shouldn't feel like that at all! I know life gets busy & things get in the way. For now I would let it go & eventually you guys will work things out I hope.

Quoting Garnet_Iris11:

That's about where I am. I'm just at a loss. I'm tired of being the one to reach out whether in good or bad. She's my one and only good friend that I can always count on. It's almost like I'm not good enough for her.

Quoting loveTHEviking:

CarrieMJ
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 8:24 PM

I'm so sorry to hear that!! I'm going threw the same thing right now and its hard :( I don't have much advice as I'm trying to let go of a one sided friendship of 10 years. ((hugs)) Being a friend of convenience is no fun at all, that's what I am as well :(

Garnet_Iris11
by Bronze Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 8:44 PM
It's just weird, hard... I gave so much to her in every way as she was my sister. I've fallen away from friendships before, but I didn't think it would happen to us. Hugs to you as well :-)

Quoting CarrieMJ:

I'm so sorry to hear that!! I'm going threw the same thing right now and its hard :( I don't have much advice as I'm trying to let go of a one sided friendship of 10 years. ((hugs)) Being a friend of convenience is no fun at all, that's what I am as well :(

CarrieMJ
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 8:51 PM

Same here! I consider mine family and she is so close to my kids, its very hard to let that go. Its one friendship I never thought would end.  Its hard when they don't care as much as we do!

Quoting Garnet_Iris11:

It's just weird, hard... I gave so much to her in every way as she was my sister. I've fallen away from friendships before, but I didn't think it would happen to us. Hugs to you as well :-)

Quoting CarrieMJ:

Pukalani79
by Kris on Mar. 18, 2013 at 9:09 PM

I'm sorry.  It's hard to realize old friendships are drifing.

elle3615
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 9:23 PM
I'm going through the same thing with my friend of 13 yrs I know its hard but it will get better
e-doolittle
by Kelly on Mar. 18, 2013 at 9:53 PM
Hugs!
Garnet_Iris11
by Bronze Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 9:54 PM
Exactly. When we had our falling out she did her best to stay in contact as far as contacting my SO at the time to reason with me, I was mad for so many reasons that I pushed her away. I've apologized as she did as well countless times and promised to never let it happen again. We shall see I guess.

Quoting CarrieMJ:

Same here! I consider mine family and she is so close to my kids, its very hard to let that go. Its one friendship I never thought would end.  Its hard when they don't care as much as we do!

Quoting Garnet_Iris11:

Quoting CarrieMJ:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)