Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

No! You can not marry my daughter!

Posted by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 2:38 PM
  • 56 Replies
So the other day my little brother (well I guess not LITTLE lol he is 24) took his girlfriends parents out for supper to ask their permission to ask Kelley to marry him. Well when he asked her dad looked him in the eye and was like "No! Absolutely not! Kelley deserves so much better than you. I will not allow her to marry a man who has had a child out of wedlock and did not marry her." After he said this to him got up and walked out! While yes my brother had a child at 17. But he WANTED to marry his DD's mom. But she didn't want to get married just because they were having a baby. Well that was for the better because they make MUCH better friends than they did a couple. My brother is an AMAZING father to his daughter. His girlfriends parents have even told him he is an amazing dad. So what do you ladies think he should do? Should he talk to his girlfriend about it? Would you ever tell your DD's boyfriend no for that reason?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 2:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
conniejo75
by Bronze Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 2:41 PM
9 moms liked this
It is up to the girlfriend not her dad. He should talk to his gf about what was said though
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
huntersmama711
by Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 2:42 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree with this.

Quoting conniejo75:

It is up to the girlfriend not her dad. He should talk to his gf about what was said though
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jackiewal10
by Bronze Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 2:49 PM
1 mom liked this

He should definitely tell his girlfriend about it.  I would not use that as a reason to not let one of my kids get married.  BUT, in all honesty, I would never expect to be asked either, as a parent.  That should not be my decision.  It's not my life.

OHgirlinCA
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 2:52 PM
2 moms liked this

Wow!  I think it's great that he asked her parents to begin with.  In this day and age, it's a nice gesture, but it's really up to the girlfriend.  I snickered when my brother said he was asking his girlfriend's parents for her hand in marriage before asking her to marry him.  They're 35! 

conniejo75
by Bronze Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 2:52 PM
That's my thought too. It is a very old fashioned thing to do and while honorable, it is stupid in my opinion. My life, my choice.. my children can ask my opinion but I will never make that choice for them

Quoting jackiewal10:

He should definitely tell his girlfriend about it.  I would not use that as a reason to not let one of my kids get married.  BUT, in all honesty, I would never expect to be asked either, as a parent.  That should not be my decision.  It's not my life.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ambertreas76
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 2:56 PM
3 moms liked this

Chivalry is nice (even nicer when someone already knows where they stand) but it is up to his girlfriend when it comes down to it.  At least he knows what kind of in-laws to be ready for.  I don't think I'd do that to my daughter if she was in love with someone.  It would take alot more than having a child out of wedlock to make me blacklist someone.  People shouldn't judge others so harshly until (1) they've heard the entire story and (2) they've walked the mile in their shoes.  Just sayin... He needs to handle this with his girlfriend.  She's ultimately the one who matters most in this situation.

JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on Mar. 20, 2013 at 3:03 PM

She should be able to chose if she marries him or not without her parents saying yes or no

michiganmom5150
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 3:03 PM
Aww:( that is so sad. My ex asked my dad and he told him to ask me! Lol I would only have that kind of reaction if he had a kid and was a bad father. I'd wonder what kind of father he'd be with my grand kids, but if he's a good dad, wtf?!?!
jillianmayasmom
by Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 3:08 PM
Asking for permission is ridiculous. It is not up to her father, it is up to her. If she doesn't mind that he has a child, that is all that matters. If my husband had asked my father for permission to marry me, he would have fallen out of his chair laughing.
raerae725
by Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 3:17 PM
My Dh asked my dad and all he got was laughter and "if you think you can talk her into it"

I do think he should talk to his girlfriend about what happened. Yes it is up to them, but parental support means a lot to some women.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN