Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

No! You can not marry my daughter!

Posted by   + Show Post
So the other day my little brother (well I guess not LITTLE lol he is 24) took his girlfriends parents out for supper to ask their permission to ask Kelley to marry him. Well when he asked her dad looked him in the eye and was like "No! Absolutely not! Kelley deserves so much better than you. I will not allow her to marry a man who has had a child out of wedlock and did not marry her." After he said this to him got up and walked out! While yes my brother had a child at 17. But he WANTED to marry his DD's mom. But she didn't want to get married just because they were having a baby. Well that was for the better because they make MUCH better friends than they did a couple. My brother is an AMAZING father to his daughter. His girlfriends parents have even told him he is an amazing dad. So what do you ladies think he should do? Should he talk to his girlfriend about it? Would you ever tell your DD's boyfriend no for that reason?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 2:38 PM
Replies (11-20):
mama.samm.2.3
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 3:20 PM
As ridiculous as it may seem. And as old fashioned as it is. Thats how my parents raised the boys in my family. That you go to the door when picking up a girl for a date, open doors for them, and ask for their parents blessing before asking for a girls hand in marriage. All my older brothers did this with their wives. I know in the end it is her choice not her fathers choice. But he wants to have their blessing. She is also close with her family so I'm sure she will want their blessing as well.

Quoting jillianmayasmom:

Asking for permission is ridiculous. It is not up to her father, it is up to her. If she doesn't mind that he has a child, that is all that matters. If my husband had asked my father for permission to marry me, he would have fallen out of his chair laughing.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KylesMom409
Well, Kyle had his first sleepover last night at his friend's house and it was successful! :) Can't wait to hear all about it when I pick him up.
Today at 9:27 AM
by Linnette on Mar. 20, 2013 at 3:55 PM
1 mom liked this
Agreed!

Quoting conniejo75:

It is up to the girlfriend not her dad. He should talk to his gf about what was said though
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
conniejo75
by Bronze Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 4:00 PM
Their blessing is not permission. She is not an item to be bought/sold. If she won't marry your brother because he father is an ass then he is probably better off without her

Quoting mama.samm.2.3:

As ridiculous as it may seem. And as old fashioned as it is. Thats how my parents raised the boys in my family. That you go to the door when picking up a girl for a date, open doors for them, and ask for their parents blessing before asking for a girls hand in marriage. All my older brothers did this with their wives. I know in the end it is her choice not her fathers choice. But he wants to have their blessing. She is also close with her family so I'm sure she will want their blessing as well.

Quoting jillianmayasmom:

Asking for permission is ridiculous. It is not up to her father, it is up to her. If she doesn't mind that he has a child, that is all that matters. If my husband had asked my father for permission to marry me, he would have fallen out of his chair laughing.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PISCIS29
by Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 4:10 PM
Yep

Quoting huntersmama711:

I agree with this.

Quoting conniejo75:

It is up to the girlfriend not her dad. He should talk to his gf about what was said though
TableforSeven
by Judy on Mar. 20, 2013 at 4:28 PM
1 mom liked this
A large part of the reason DH did not ask my father for permission to marry me was that we knew the answer would be no. We eloped much for the same reason. Everything has worked out just fine....and over the years my parents grew to accept, respect, and even like my husband.
godsgirl26
by ♥Charmaine♥ on Mar. 20, 2013 at 4:29 PM
This.

Quoting OHgirlinCA:

Wow!  I think it's great that he asked her parents to begin with.  In this day and age, it's a nice gesture, but it's really up to the girlfriend.  I snickered when my brother said he was asking his girlfriend's parents for her hand in marriage before asking her to marry him.  They're 35! 

Mommy2AmaznKids
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 4:32 PM

Quoting conniejo75:

This and I am sorry what was said to your Brother/.

Amberleigh81
by Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 4:45 PM
2 moms liked this
This happened to my friends... they decided to get married anyway, and told her mom to get over it or don't participate. She got over it and they have been married 9 years... :)

Quoting mama.samm.2.3:

Quoting jillianmayasmom:

belindah
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 5:32 PM

Wow.  Kudos to young brother trying to get permission first, but he should talk to his gf

countrymomma81
by Platinum Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 6:37 PM

While we would hope that our children would be able to find a husband or wife that has not had children out of wedlock, I don't think my husband would ever respond like that. 

We are just a more traditional family and would like it if our children followed. If they don't we definitely will not hold it against them. Hell, who knows. Our children might be the ones having children out of wedlock. I'd hope not but to each their own. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)