Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

It's JUST soccer.

Posted by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 1:31 PM
  • 34 Replies
3 moms liked this

My dd is 3 and I thought it would be fun/cute to sign her up for soccer at the Y this spring. My ds took soccer for two yrs (3-4) and had fun, until uber competitive parents ruined it for us. (now he does martial arts, only competition is himself)

I hoped this time it could be the same; fun while it lasts, maybe she'll get into it and we'll last longer.

Nope. But not for competition on the field. Competition in accessories.

"Don't you have these shin guards?"  "Oh, did she forget her multi-colored personalized soccer ball?"  "No high priced speciality soccer shorts, with matching shirt and jacket?"  "Is her sports bottle in the car?"

Seriously. The season lasts 7 weeks! And oh, yeah, they are 3!

by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 1:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
occumommy
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 1:43 PM

UGH I hate parents like that! they take all the fun out of something that is supposed to be fun.

qkforever
by Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 2:02 PM

I know how you feel.  DS loved soccer but I so tried of all the craziness of it.  So we took 2 years off.  There was a new board, I was hoping this would help but nope they are just as bad.  On top of it my son's team beat an undefeated team.  They ended up calling the game at the start of 4th quarter because of lightening was getting too close.  So we won.  We played more than half the game.  When it came time to play the same team they called it something else so we ended up playing 5 quarters. They started with a new score and then beat us 1-0.  It was unbelievable.  So we will not be going back that that brand of soccer again.  Maybe it is boy thing but we don't have to worry about who has what.  

JessLin79
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 2:17 PM
1 mom liked this
I hear ya! My dd was in soccer when she was younger and it was more like a fashion show than game. Nobody cared about how well they were learning how to play; it was always who had the cutest shin guards or the sparkling soccer shoes that cost $100. Ridiculous!
belindah
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 2:41 PM

were sports like this when we were kids? I dont remember parents while i was in sports making the game like this

billssweety
It is so awesome spending time with my entire family, 5 generations, what a blessing!
Yesterday at 11:52 PM
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 3:03 PM

Sports for kids would be a 1000% better if parents didn't show up!!!  My husband has coached all of our kids and been a coach for the local junior high, PARENTS ARE HORRIBLE!!!  It is so sad to see them screaming and yelling at their kids, making scenes, getting kicked out of the gym or off the field.  Not to mention the back biting and gossiping done to pit parents against a coach.  When did sports become about parents and not about kids?

AuntieMom101
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 6:01 PM
We don't have soccer here but my DS2 plays baseball this will be is 3rd yr and OMgoodness some of the parents are aweful!!!! There are a few that I would like to shove off the bleachers!! Last year he used the same bat as he did the year before and I got told that he must be sooooo embarrassed! Really? Actually he was the one that told me he didn't need a new one. (Yep that was a proud frugal mommy moment). I also hate how they scream at their kids constantly because they aren't fast enough or didn't get a hit :(
I wish parents would realize that it is a game meant to be fun and they are blowing it for their kids!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
BeachMommy07
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 9:54 PM

That's insane. Do they carry around little coach bags too?

countrymomma81
by Platinum Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:32 PM

I'm the parent whose kids have most of what you mentioned. Do I care what others have? Nope. We've just been doing sports so long that we know what brands last and what doesn't. 

We have two kids that are each in 4-5 sports a year. With all the money we've put out we learned that certain brands are better for wear and tear. But I (nor my kids) couldn't care less what others have and are wearing. As a matter of fact, when we are buying stuff we try to find the stuff without big logos all over it. It's just not classy to be a "brand whore". 

And although my husband either coaches or referees the sports our kids are in, we are NOT the kind of parent that yells at our kids for not being good. We clap and praise them no matter what as long as they tried their best and took it seriously. 

Pukalani79
by Kris on Mar. 21, 2013 at 11:22 PM

That's too bad. Try not to let it get to you though.

BuckeyezRule
by Bronze Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 11:30 PM

ITA! Ds played little league for 1 season. The parents were AWFUL!!!!! They made a 13yo ump cry. Really?!?! You feel good making a kid cry?!?! And that was 1 instance. Dh coached little league for 13yo's before we had kids. His team lost. The parents of a kid on the other team danced on home plate and laughed at dh's kids, and called them losers!!!! No, I'm not kidding. Dh turned to the kids and told them, loudly, that they played hard, and had good sportsmanship. Then, he pointed at the parents, and said 'THEY are losers'. Lol

Quoting billssweety:

Sports for kids would be a 1000% better if parents didn't show up!!!  My husband has coached all of our kids and been a coach for the local junior high, PARENTS ARE HORRIBLE!!!  It is so sad to see them screaming and yelling at their kids, making scenes, getting kicked out of the gym or off the field.  Not to mention the back biting and gossiping done to pit parents against a coach.  When did sports become about parents and not about kids?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)