Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

insurance question

Posted by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 2:09 AM
  • 2 Replies
I jumped through hoop after hoop with the insurance company to get an out of network ot approved for my son. He has spd. So they approved it for one but she just isn't enough for my son. I'm reading the book "the out of sync child" as well as doing a lot of other reading and I'm quickly finding that she isn't really knowledgeable. Things she says she has never heard of as part of spd are. Pretty much every concern I have had with my son can fall into spd and he has something going on in pretty much every category the book lists making his case pretty complicated. We meet with her once every few months when I call and bug her for an appointment. I tell her something isn't working and she says we need to do it anyways.
There are ots with far more experience and training 1.5 hours from home. I'm almost feeling like it's worth the drive at this point. What do you think? Do you think my insurance will let me switch? There isn't an in network ot with experience with spd within 100 miles is the reason for the approval.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 2:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
annelauer
by Bronze Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 2:55 AM

I don't know.  It is worth a try.  That said, I think you can probably do a lot of it at home if you dedicate yourself to it.  That could cut down on trips.  Good luck with whatever you decide!

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Mar. 22, 2013 at 6:32 AM

I would see if insurance would approve another OT and make the trip. I think it's very important to have an OT with SPD experience/training working with your son for the best possible outcome.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)