Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Terrible two's

Posted by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 3:22 PM
  • 5 Replies

Hi,

I suppose I just need somewhere to vent, and I know I am not the only mother who has ever delt with a difiant two year old, but I feel I have 0 support and need a break. My daughter is the apple of my eye, I love her so ,much, she is funny smart and oh so adorable, she is very affectionate,with all that said, she also is very high spirted:-) she has a short fuse and is going through a defiant stage, everything is somewhat of a challenge/battle, dressing, brushing hair, brushing teeth etc, and when she does not get her way, oh man watch out, she has a set of lungs! I am trying different approaches with her but am finding it exhausting as I am also 12 weeks pregnant with my 2nd and am nauseous too. I look at my friends 2 year olds, and they don't  seem to be as active or vocal as mine and that gets me worried , her doctor says she is a normal very outgoing toddler, I just did not know that it could be so hard and hope that others out there went or are going throught the same thing, I don't have anyone who can watch her so I can take a breath, family lives far away, hubby works full time and when he comes home, he does his own thing, I suppose I am just feeling the hormones, I just want to be a good mom and do the right things!! Thank you for listening!

by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 3:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
CorpCityGrl
by Bronze Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 3:27 PM

Awwww....I'm sorry!

I can sympathize.  I have a 2 1/2 year old DD. She is smart, funny, super active, stubborn and independent.  She is incredibly vocal and loud and defiant.  Everything with her is a battle of wills.  It DOES get better though.  I'm noticing that.  Definitely be consistent with discipline.  They are really testing at this age and are smart enough to do so and to gauge reactions.  I found that by telling DD that what she is doing is making me sad has been effective.

Jinxed8
by Gold Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 3:54 PM

We've all been there and I don't mean to be discouraging but all ages have their quirks !  I know it's not easy the terrible two's are infamous for that.  My DD was very outgoing as well - when mine went into full on meltdown I stopped speaking or reacting to her tantrums, I would calmly pick her up, bring her to her room and put her to bed, she had a safety door handle so she couldn't open the door and I would leave her in there until she calmed down.  She learned the routine fairly quickly.  The best thing is just ignoring bad behavior try this for a while and see if it works - positive reinforcement only react when she's good.  Worked wonders for mine, works still to this day.  When I lose my cool it just means that she was able to sucker me in her game.  When I stop aknowledging and tell her super calmly to go upstairs she knows she's in big doo-doo !

Nawal.Kramer
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 6:09 PM

I feel the same as you, except that I am not pregnant. I can just imagine how nauseous and hormonal you are feeling.

Hang in there!

brightangel
by Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 9:20 PM
We're past the terrible two's and into the terrible three's. Much worse.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
oliver92
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 2:24 AM

im 14 weeks preg and thought my ds was in like the terrible 3's hes all those wonderful things too, but we started doing timeout and simply saying I dont like when you act like that and now we are going to have time out, he cried like crazy at first now he just pouts but he has to say he is sorry and I just remind him it wasnt very nice. but its a very slow process, he will scream NO at me and get mad, but its been effective.  My nerves are on edge, perhaps from hormones, lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)