Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Home Owners or Home Hunters

Posted by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 12:44 PM
  • 9 Replies

To those of you who own a home, how long did it take you to find it and did you haggle with the owner at all? To those who are looking for a home, how is that working out?

I ask because DH and I found a home we both really adore. Our only problem is that the owner is putting sentimental value in the home (Like an extra 1000 because the dog had puppies in the back yard, things like that.) We dealt with someone like this before and ultimately had to walk away. That house is still on the market. The Realtor is in talks with him to see if she can bring the price down to a more reasonable request. I'm trying not to get my hopes up, but I really like the house and so does my husband...which is rare that we both like everything about it.

Now we could just buy  cheaper home and fix it up and pay it off quicker, but we look at that home and both agreed that would be the forever home...

Anyhow, I was just wondering what you ladies went through or even what you are going through if you're looking into a home.

by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 12:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
OliviaW.
by Bronze Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 12:50 PM
It took us 3 years due to financial reasons. We didn't really haggle. The lady we bought the house from liked us (she was in the house while we walked through), she said that we reminded her of her and hubby when they buy the house 30 some odd years before. We made an offer and she agreed, it was about 8k under her asking price.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
AmesCSki
by Bronze Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 1:05 PM
We bought the 3rd house we saw, and we haggled with the seller maybe for a couple days and ultimately agreed on a price. That was in mid-January. We are finally closing on the house and moving next week. Home buying and home hunting are very frustrating!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TableforSeven
by Judy on Mar. 23, 2013 at 3:29 PM

We had been semi-looking fr a house for about 9 months.  We were just looking on-line though....looking at realtor sites and using pictures/info to decide what we really wanted....as well as seeing what was out there.

Once we were actively looking....it took two weeks to find the house we wanted - we actually went to see 4 homes.  We didnt haggle price....we made an offer (lower than the asking price) and they accepted our offer (we knew the house had been on the market for a while and that the owners had already moved out of state....knowing they were 'motivated' helped us choose to make a low offer, knowing we could bargain as needed...apparently the were even more motivated than we thought!).

MJP76
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 3:58 PM
1 mom liked this

When we went house hunting in 2010 we started looking in Jan, in Jan and Feb we looked through about 75 houses, by the end of Feb we found the house we wanted. We closed by April 10th and me were moved in by April 14th. We didn't have much of a problem because the owners of the house was on crunch  time as we were. We even talked them down a whole bunch. Originally the house was listed at 190,000.00 and we talked them down to 174,900.00

liss05
by Gold Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 4:38 PM

When we bought are 1st home in 99 we looked at a whole bunch of houses(with a realtor and a lot of drive by gosh we saw some ugly houses) ironically my FIL found the one we bought thankfully we didn't really need to haggle but there was another couple who was interested in buy our house. Now 13 years later we are on the hunt for a bigger home witha  better school district we have just driven by homes  and a lot of online research

OHgirlinCA
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 4:42 PM
We bought our home in 2009. It was right after the banks went beserck and stopped loaning to people. It took us 7 months to get a preapproval, and then 24 bids and 3 months before we finally got one accepted. We bought a foreclosure. At the time, there were at least a dozen bids on every single house. It was really frustrating and annoying.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
snowangel1979
by Bronze Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 4:55 PM
It took us a few months.
It was the second or third home we put an offer on. I'm really glad the other ones didn't go threw though.One was a 2 bedroom and we would have been sol when DD was born.
I was in love with the second one, but our house is 100times better because we have 6 acres.

We brought a forclouser so there was no owners to do anything like that. It took the bank about a month and a half to get back to us. It needed some work but that's what we wanted. A cheaper home, that we could pay off quickly. Our home is worth 3x what we paid for it now.

Pretty much you have to be strong. Try not to fall in love with a house. If you don't get it, It's ment to be and a better one will come along.
The owner needs to get his head out of his butt though, no one cares if your dog had puppies back there, Property values make the home worth what It's worth. Sorry but It's not memories.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Firewoman33
by Silver Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 5:53 PM

It took us a year of intense searching. We definitely haggled. It was worth it. 

CotterpinDoozer
by Silver Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 7:50 PM

Thanks for all your stories ladies! I'm actually doubtful the guy will lower his price, we started looking at other houses as well...it's a process that's for sure!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN