Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you live far from your family?

Posted by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 3:45 PM
  • 66 Replies

We all live in Ohio.  I was diagnosed with Lupus in 2003 and the weather is KILLING ME!!  More than anything I want to move far far far away where it's warm and sunny year round.  My problem is I am very close to my parents and my son is the only grandchild.  Whenever I even suggest moving away my mom starts to fall apart.  They are retired and could travel or move anywehere.  I hate to sit around and suffer until they're gone.  But I also hate to move out of state and break their hearts.  I'm really torn and wondering if anyone else has been in this situation and how you dealt/deal with it. How did it work out?  

by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 3:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
countrymomma81
by Platinum Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 3:48 PM

Lol, no. I live in the same yard as my aunt and grandma. My mom lives less than 10 minutes South, my SIL lives 10 minutes East and my MIL lives 10 minutes West. I can't escape them....lol.

ChancesMommy07
by Bronze Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 3:48 PM

Nope. My family is gigantic and most of us either live in our hometown or within 50 miles.

ambertreas76
by Amber on Mar. 25, 2013 at 3:53 PM
2 moms liked this

I don't live anywhere near family.  I had to move out of NV and IL because I'm a full body arthritic with some issues that mimic MS.  A drunk t-boned my car back in '02 and this is a result.  The dry heat and the freezing cold make me feel like I'm disabled.  I'm in Florida now and this is where I will stay.  Sometimes it's lonely but my family is just a phone call away.  My family understood (after indepth discussions about my quality and my family's quality of life).  I'm happy that I feel better... for me, that's what matters.  I can be 'present' for my family as I need to be instead of being in constant pain.  And, yes, Florida humidity is awesome for arthritis (contrary to what everyone is told).  Good luck!  Remember YOU DESERVE to feel better!  

BuckeyezRule
by Bronze Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 4:16 PM

I lived within 10 minutes of my mom for 32 years in ohio. We moved to Utah, and took my parents only grand kids. I miss my family, but I love Utah. I never want to move back. :)

AMDS0304
by Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 4:21 PM

No advice from me. I live 5 minutes from my parents and My MIL lives 15 minutes from us. 

AG14
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 4:30 PM

I left NY to live in San Diego. My entire family lives in NY and I'm very close to them. The weather here is perfect, but I miss them all terribly. I've only been able to visit once in the 2 and half years I've been here. And it sucks. I left everything I knew for my husbands new job, and it's been tough. I always said I wanted to leave Ny, I've always wanted to move to florida for the warmer weather (I hate the cold). Of course I was single with no kids then. Now, I'm on the otherside of the country, very far from them. One thing that eats at me is being so far from my grandparents. They're in their mid 70's. I have 2 children, their only great grandchildren. And it breaks my heart being so far. Not to mention my grandmother gives me the guilt trip everytime we talk. If your parents are able to move south with you, why dont they?? My grandfather will never leave Ny. My parents ,aunts all work. I don't see them moving. I wish I can just get up and go back and visit all the time, but the tickets are so costly. Not to mention traveling with 2 kids, ages 3 & 1 is not fun! So I have my parents set up with skype. Trying to get my grandmother to do the same. I even got her an ipad, but she cannot use it at all by herself. I have to ask my cousin to visit her and help her. I upload videos of the kids often on youtube and send the whole fam the links. But it's still not the same. Hope you and your parents can work something out! 

emarin77
by Bronze Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 4:45 PM
2 moms liked this

Hon...move, you deserve it.  I know your mom will be said but you are a grown woman.  I live with my husband and child in South Florida and my family lives up in NY and NJ.  My husband's in CT.  I have a spinal cord disorder and the warmer temperatures help me too.  My parents come down to visit two times a year.  We travel north when we can.

Jinxed8
by Gold Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 4:54 PM

sometimes you have to do what's best for you - my husband only lived a few miles away from his mom, his sister and niece and he moved 600 miles away to be with me - it's a choice he made - it was what was best for him at the time even though yes it upset his mom and sister.    For many reasons, he is better off.    I live 15 miles from my parents roughly the same thing from my sister.  Because of DD's custody I couldn't move away but if I had the choice, I would have probably moved there.  My parents would have been upset but just like yours they are retired and can travel whenever.  I am still not opposed to moving there in a few years

e-doolittle
by Kelly on Mar. 25, 2013 at 4:55 PM

We stay close by to our parents for this reason.  we would gladly live where it's warm.

AuntieMom101
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 5:58 PM
I live near family now (in MO) but have moved away to Alaska, California, and Oregon. Most of my family was supportive about my moves but each time I just did what I felt was right for me at the time. Yes sometimes I got lonely but I could always call and now there is Skype so it might not be as hard as it was back when I was wandering :) good luck!!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)