Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Fitness Question: what do you do to work out?

Posted by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 9:44 PM
  • 37 Replies
What motivates you? Do you do videos at home? Go to the gym? I've been doing the '30 day shred' by Jillian Michaels and today is day 6, but I'm taking a break for the evening (I know I'll feel guilty tomorrow, but I'm not feeling well). I find myself getting easily discouraged. Luckily I've never been one to worry about my weight, but have gained about 20lbs out of nowhere. I got the Mirena in Oct and its the only thing I can think of. I'm 5'4 about 140...I know it sounds ridiculous, but I'm not fitting in my jeans anymore and want to lose about 15-20lbs. I want to get toned up, look and feel great, but like I said keep getting discouraged. My stomach bothers me the most...5 years ago I had a csection and never did anything to fix my stomach; with the weight gain it seems worse. I have a gym membership, but honestly, I know nothing about fitness so I have no clue what I'm doing! I don't have any friends that live close to come with me and my husband is on the membership, but never wants to go....ugh! Personal training sessions are $80 a pop on top of the $120 a month membership and I don't want to spend that extra money. Any tips? Thanks :-)
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 9:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
offrdngal
by Gold Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 10:20 PM
1 mom liked this

I've done just about all of Jillian Michaels' workouts (at least twice).  Right now I am on week 11 of her Body Revolution program.

I keep a journal (calorie intake, daily workout) to help stay accountable.

Dlunsford
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 10:33 PM
Quoting offrdngal:

I've done just about all of Jillian Michaels' workouts (at least twice).  Right now I am on week 11 of her Body Revolution program.

Her videos are harder than they look! I'm keeping a journal, but horrible about tracking calories....not sure I can do or want to do that part of it....lol. I'm a healthy eater...I don't eat junk hardly ever.
offrdngal
by Gold Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 10:36 PM
1 mom liked this

She is tough..that's for sure!  The one I am doing now, is pretty intense.  I love it!!  I've had better and more consistent results from this program, than all of her other workouts.

Quoting Dlunsford:

Quoting offrdngal:

Her videos are harder than they look! I'm keeping a journal, but horrible about tracking calories....not sure I can do or want to do that part of it....lol. I'm a healthy eater...I don't eat junk hardly ever.

MixedCooke
by Silver Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 2:11 AM
2 moms liked this

I would get a set of freee weights in various pounds such as 3, 5 10, 15.  For upper body--curls, hammer curls, tricep extensions, dips, push ups, bent over rows, dead lifts, overhead press, lateral raise, front raise, chest press, chest flys.  For abs--I like crunches, reverse crunches, waist twists, bicycles, side bends, kettlebell swings and various belly dance type moves.  For lower body--squats, lunges, plies, butt clenches, inner and outer thigh leg lifts, leg curls, leg raises.  For cardio--walking, swimming, jogging and dancing.  I also own various exercise DVDs that i do on occasion.  If you have cable--Gilad does some great workouts and you dont even need weights!

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Mar. 27, 2013 at 6:29 AM
2 moms liked this

I've done Jillian Michaels 30 day shred, great video. I did that every other day and walked or did yoga on the opposite days.

Now I mostly do yoga dvds/dvr. I like the Rock Your Yoga program. I also walk/jog when it's warmer. I don't like to be out in the cold weather, lol. I like to run 5K's so I do the C25k program when I sign up for a race. I have one coming up in May so I am hoping I can get outside soon to start preparing for it.

I agee with the pp~ keep a journal (track food, calorie, exercise) it helps keep you accountable. When I was losing weight I had my husband take a monthly picture of me. That way I could see the changes that were happening. Also start with a smaller  weight loss goal, say I'm going to lose 5lbs rather than 25. Once you reach 5lbs go for another 5, and when losing weight track your inches lost not just weight.

vtmom26
by New Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 6:46 AM
1 mom liked this
I do kettlebells and treadmill
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lulu9209479
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 6:53 AM
1 mom liked this
Zumba baby! Best workout ever. It's so much fun. I also do weight watchers online. If I can't get to Zumba, I walk outside
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JoGibson
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 7:08 AM
2 moms liked this

I walk, lift weights, and do what I call "productive training".  Mowing the lawn (push mower), painting a room, ect is a great workout. And you get the reward of a nice new room :)  

babygirl7161
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 7:13 AM
1 mom liked this
I am motivated by seeing my results, I use xbox kinect your shape 2012 dance central. As well yoga Pilates, random sets of crunches, squats, weighted hula hoop,and resistance bands. When I go to the gym I like to run and use the arc trainer as well.as reverse incline crunches, captians chairs ect. I can go nuts but I feel.and look amazing lol
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
babygirl7161
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 7:28 AM
Look through magazine too like self I get a lot of exersises from there. I'm.5'10 and 135lbs the same as pre baby but 1-2 sizes smaller with.muscle. I'm not on CM as much as I used to be but message me if you want and I have some process pics posted here.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)