Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Am I Crazy?

Posted by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 11:04 PM
  • 28 Replies

I think that I might be crazy. My life is very busy right now. I have custody of my 13 yr old niece. Then I had my only son 3 yrs ago. He keeps me very busy because of how active he is. He also has several different medical issues. So, there is a lot of dr appointments and things that I have to do during the day.

Well, my brother called me and asked me to please take my 2 nephews for a while. He will give me the money to financially take care of them. But they will be moving in with me and my family. I know that my brother really needs the help. He wants to get his kids out of the environment that they are in. I told him that I would take them in when he is ready to leave his girlfriend. Oh, the children are 4 and 2. So, I will have a 13 yr, 4 yr, 3 yr, and 2 yr old in my house. the three boys will be in the same room.

Am I totally crazy. (He is talking about getting the boys in about 2 weeks)

I wanted to add a couple of things. A couple of people misunderstood the time period. I was saying that I will be getting the boys in about 2 weeks. The amount of time that I will have them will vary. It could be as long as a year. I did talk to my brother. He plans on giving me money every week to take care of his kids. We do live a distance away, but I think he plans on getting the kids every weekend. My mother plans on being here a lot to help out too. 

Thank you to everyone for your kind words. I know it will be a big transition for our family. I do like the idea of a chart, and to get the kids to help each other. I think my son will be the hardest. He will have to share his space and his stuff. Where he has been used to being the only little one around for a long time. I am already trying to prep him for the change!  

by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 11:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MixedCooke
by Silver Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 1:34 AM

as long as you know you can handlt it and trust your brother to in fact take care of them financially then you arent crazy.

conniejo75
by Bronze Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 1:37 AM
1 mom liked this
I just hope he is not playing you. That's a lot to take on.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
anotherandree
by Inga on Mar. 27, 2013 at 1:37 AM
1 mom liked this

Yikes!  Truthfully, it sounds like the family is taking advantage of you.  Good luck.

JoGibson
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 7:16 AM
5 moms liked this

No, you are not crazy.  You care.  You are just one of the special people who can step in and foster a child, many cannot.

My advice; routine, routine, routine.  I went as far as making a picture chart to help the kids be more independent and ease the strain on me.

4healeymonsters
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 7:54 AM
2 moms liked this

You are a Avery loving woman but make sure you get tough with your brother.  Make him involved with the kids every day if at all possible. Let him know you love the kids but he needs to get his home ready so he can be full time Dad. I have 4 as well and they are good at keeping each other busy but you are only 1 person. If u do tis make sure he helps out daily.   Good luck!

wifeynmommie80
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 7:57 AM

I commend you on being a wonderful sister to consider helping out. But if you have thoughts on not being able to handle it I wouldn't.  2 weeks doesn't sound like a long time, but with 3 toddlers and a teenager it could be overwhelming. 

story0702
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 8:10 AM
1 mom liked this
I totally agree with this mama . You have a huge heart!!! Routine is going to be your best friend! The picture chart is a great idea too! If you need support you know us mama's are only a click away !

Quoting JoGibson:

No, you are not crazy.  You care.  You are just one of the special people who can step in and foster a child, many cannot.

My advice; routine, routine, routine.  I went as far as making a picture chart to help the kids be more independent and ease the strain on me.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
busymommy98
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 9:08 AM
1 mom liked this

Well....I don't know how to answer that one. My heart is first to respond. Here goes...I would do it out of love for my nephews. Family comes first and especially children. I would want my brother to take mine if I needed him to. However, I have a unique wrinkle in the fact that my ds has autism. The chaos would be asking for a lot of tantrums. Nate is on a strict schedule and more kids in the house would upset him, big time. I would do it for love if I were you. I would take my niece and nephew in a heartbeat. I love them that much. Good luck honey...

breebree04
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 9:34 AM
1 mom liked this

This would be a hard decision for me to make but I think in the end since its family I would suck it up and do it. You should definately talk to your brother and make a plan though. Like how long they can stay, him coming and helping with the kids on a regular basis while they are there, and him picking the kids up on certain days and taking them for awhile so you can have a break for a few hours. Good Luck

Jinxed8
by Gold Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 9:49 AM
1 mom liked this

if you feel that you can handle it, i don't think you're crazy ... I think you're a really good person !

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN