Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Which would you prefer?

Posted by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 4:34 PM
  • 21 Replies

Poll

Question: Which would you rather?

Options:

More money?

More time with hubby?

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 42

View Results

So my husband has the option to move from nights to days. Right now as it stands, we see each other basically in passing between jobs. He thinks we spend plenty of time together so I started keeping track. This last month, we have spent a total of 50 hours together, now mind you, there are 744 hours in the month (I've figured this out so I can show him). And those aren't even "quality time". Its when we're in the same place together. I bring him lunch at work, i count that 10 min, he's in the shower while i'm cooking, i count that, stuff like that, and in total has only been 50 hours... So... he has this option to move from nights to days, which would give us nights back together and sleeping together again. He doesn't want to do it cause it would drop his pay $2/hr, so basically about $320 less a month. Just wondering if you ladies would rather the extra money, or the extra time with your husband?

by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 4:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mumsy2three
by Shauna on Mar. 27, 2013 at 4:37 PM

More time with hubby.

My husband works nights too and it can be very difficult sometimes especially on the days where we just see each other in passing. I hope that he will have the opportunity to some day be on day shift again.

me-n-mygirls
by Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 4:39 PM
my husband always has and always will be more important to me than money.
we both feel that way.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tpaangel8122
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 4:48 PM
1 mom liked this

thanks ladies, and that's how i feel too....now just gotta convince him of that....

HockeyDanceMom
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 8:25 PM
1 mom liked this

This

Quoting me-n-mygirls:

my husband always has and always will be more important to me than money.
we both feel that way.

Wife to Jason (07/10/98), Mommy to Michael James (03/21/00), Madalyn Rose (02/27/03), Emily Grace (01/07/05), Daniel Joseph (01/04/06) & Christopher Thomas (03/21/11).

Marimaru
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 8:36 PM
1 mom liked this

I know that there are people who have budgets where that $320 would make or break them... but if you aren't in that situation, I would say the time with your husband is worth way more than $320.

Is there something in your budget you can agree to do without to help counter it?  Starbucks, or pizza night or something?

CotterpinDoozer
by Silver Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 8:43 PM

Time with my husband, it sounds odd to me that he thinks you guys have plenty of quality time together. My husband has recently been working 12 hour days, so unless I swing by with our DD (Which I do 2 times a week) then he doesn't see her until the weekends...if he was given the opportunity to drop his hours, sure he'd make less money, but he'd jump at that chance to spend more time with his family. Good luck!

AV made by NiamhWitch

JoGibson
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 8:52 PM

I would love more time together.  But do you need the money?  Guys have this weird thing where they see not making enough money or losing money as a failure.  So he would resist the change based on that.

Jinxed8
by Gold Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 11:49 AM

it depends how badly you need the money to make ends meet.  If it's just fluff I would pick my husband over the cash

hollydaze1974
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 11:56 AM
1 mom liked this
I believe you'll need to also calculate a budget if you want this to sway him in anyway. If that money is earmarked for something every month, as much as he loves you, it's gonna be a tough sell ....,money for the fam/ vs. quality time together ..... For him , as much as he loves you guys, that extra money is " providing" for you guys . If you all can do without that extra money... Gonna have to prove that side of the arguement, too.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
honeydewmommy
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 12:03 PM

Basically this is going to depend on your current financial situation. If you both are living paycheck to paycheck..or worse less. You really gotta suck it up and let him work. I hate to tell you that but its the honest truth. Or in the end you will struggle more. 

However if you both are financially comfortable and do not live paycheck to paycheck, then go for it! Let him stay home more!! 

Good luck to you both!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN