Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

staying on top of cleaning makes it easier?

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 1:46 AM
  • 51 Replies
I've been trying really, really hard this week to just stay on top of keeping my house clean. It's so not working! I mean, it's clean but I feel like all I do is clean. I homeschool my kids so my entire morning is devoted to that. With going between the two of them I have zero time for cleaning in the morning. Oftentimes in the afternoon we have other activities planned so I try to squeeze cleaning in but it's tough!
Instead I'm staying up at night cleaning and that sucks! I'm not getting much sleep at all. I still have to do laundry just shy of weekly because I have to pull it all out and sort it before I can do any of it. It's too hard to pull it all out to just do one load that day.
And yes, my kids do have chores.
Ds (5)- feed/water rabbit and guinea, take out compost, put away clean clothes, clean up his room, pick up after himself
Dd (3 on the 19th)- feed/water rabbit and beta, help me sort dirty laundry, clean up room, pick up after herself
Both bring all dirty laundry to the living room on laundry day plus they each do one extra chore daily (ie unload dishwasher, take out trash, sweep floor, wipe counters/table, etc). They help clean animal homes, help feed and water the animals, and help in the garden.
Am I the only one who doesn't find just staying on top of it easy??
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 1:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on Mar. 28, 2013 at 1:47 AM
Oh and tomorrow I have to stop putting off going shopping. I've been procrastinating for 2 weeks now and I just have to go. So instead it's morning homeschool then the 40 mile drive to Costco and Wal-Mart. Boo!
MixedCooke
by Silver Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 1:56 AM

oh yeah it is difficult for me too!  My kids are about the same age as well and I dont have them help out that much except minor stuff like my 5 yr old I have empty the dryer and help sort laundry and clean the house as far as picking up her playrooms and putting away her own laundry.  My almost 3 yr old will put things in the garbage and recycle, will help load the dishwasher, will put things in the sink, will start the dishwasher but I have yet to get her to help pick up the playroom.

I can actually only get things done in the morning but I do try schedule things for different days so I am not overwhelmed.  What i am trying to do to make laundry more manageable is get everyone their own basket so I can sort it like that when it comes to putting it away and I already have hampers for light and dark and sort as I go.  I have tried and failed at putting it away after each load  : /

annelauer
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 1:59 AM
3 moms liked this
Have you heard of fly lady?
TTC2Long
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 2:07 AM
I have done both cleaning spread throughout the week and doing it all on one day and I'm not sure which is better/worse.
JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on Mar. 28, 2013 at 2:10 AM
Yes and I tried it once. Hated it. I would rather have clean counters than a clean kitchen sink.

Quoting annelauer:

annelauer
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 2:27 AM
I guess I was just referring to having the rotating projects. Like scrub one area corner to corner top to bottom one week and another another week.

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

Yes and I tried it once. Hated it. I would rather have clean counters than a clean kitchen sink.

Quoting annelauer:

MommyAddie
by Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 7:32 AM
2 moms liked this
I've used the flylady for 11 yeas now. I stay on top of my cleaning, and yes, it's hard work. I sacrifice moments I want to sit and relax in order to keep my home clean. I clean as I cook, I clean as I care for the baby, I clean as watch tv, while I'm getting dressed...I often feel like all I do is clean. But it has to be done. My family and I use the home all day long, so I clean all day long. It's still a lot easier than letting it turn into a disaster and try to start from there. (I know all about that, too. I was very depressed in my first marriage. He was a slob by nature and I didn't want to do anything for him, so I did nothing. We couldn't let people in our house.)

Quoting annelauer:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JoGibson
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 7:43 AM
2 moms liked this
When I homeschooled we had family "post meal pickup". After every meal the entire family would shut down everything (no tv, phones, ect) and pick up anyting that belonged to them. During that time one adult would switch laundry and fold while the other adult loads the dishwasher. We set the timer for 30 minutes each time. House stays clean.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Briesmom38
by Gold Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 7:56 AM

Since I work full time, I clean as I find some time during the week, like in the morning when I am getting ready for work, I'll empty the dishwasher from the night before, wipe down the counters, if I have time toss a load of laundry in, when I get home from work after having dinner, I try to do some more things, like vacuuming.  On Saturday mornings before my dd gets up, I finish anything I haven't touched.  Some weeks I end up doing the bulk of the cleaning on Saturday morning, but at least it's done and I don't have to worry about it.

** It's 5 O'clock Somewhere **

Saphira1207
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 8:15 AM

Before I can offer any suggestions I need to know what your definition of "clean" is.  Everyone is a little different so this would be helpful.

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

I've been trying really, really hard this week to just stay on top of keeping my house clean. It's so not working! I mean, it's clean but I feel like all I do is clean. I homeschool my kids so my entire morning is devoted to that. With going between the two of them I have zero time for cleaning in the morning. Oftentimes in the afternoon we have other activities planned so I try to squeeze cleaning in but it's tough!
Instead I'm staying up at night cleaning and that sucks! I'm not getting much sleep at all. I still have to do laundry just shy of weekly because I have to pull it all out and sort it before I can do any of it. It's too hard to pull it all out to just do one load that day.
And yes, my kids do have chores.
Ds (5)- feed/water rabbit and guinea, take out compost, put away clean clothes, clean up his room, pick up after himself
Dd (3 on the 19th)- feed/water rabbit and beta, help me sort dirty laundry, clean up room, pick up after herself
Both bring all dirty laundry to the living room on laundry day plus they each do one extra chore daily (ie unload dishwasher, take out trash, sweep floor, wipe counters/table, etc). They help clean animal homes, help feed and water the animals, and help in the garden.
Am I the only one who doesn't find just staying on top of it easy??

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN