Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

sex offender at girl scout meetings...thoughts?

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 2:44 PM
  • 30 Replies

A registered sex offender is attending one local troop's girl scout meetings and that concerns other parents in the group. But does the fact that the offender's daughter is one of those girl scouts mean he has a right to attend those meetings, like any other parent?   

You may remember Keith Maynard from 2009. The former East Ridge Police Officer was convicted of the statutory rape of a 15-year-old that he met through a girl scout program. Less than 5 years later, a parent called us after he saw Maynard at several of his daughter's girl scout meetings. Richard Cox tells us "there is a child predator going to my daughter's girl scout meetings. He has a daughter who is a member of my daughter's troop and I don't see how he can be allowed to be around other children."

After realizing who Maynard was, Cox says he contacted Maynard's probation officer. Cox tells us the officer took the issue before a judge. "A judge in Catoosa County signed off on him to be around other children with no restrictions at all I cannot believe a judge in their right mind would allow a sex offender to be around children... especially a scout."

Cox says after getting no help through the courts, he reached out to the troop leader. "We went to the troop leader about it. She told us that she knew about the situation and not to say anything about it to the other parents because he is a family friend."

Our crew contacted troop leader Cecily Treece.  When she realized why we were calling, she declined to comment. Although she wasn't willing to talk, the Girl Scouts of the USA handbook is clear about the issue. On their website it states: 

"Registered sex offenders are not eligible for membership in Girl Scouts of the USA and may not participate in any capacity with Girl Scout programs. Volunteers shall not knowingly hold meetings or associate with Girl Scout members with a registered sex offender present." 

"I want him to stay away from other children. Who's to say that it couldn't happen again. I'm all for giving people second chances, but when it comes to children that's where I draw the line," adds Cox.

http://www.newschannel9.com/news/top-stories/stories/sex-offender-attends-girl-scout-meetings-4721.shtml

wife to Ron and proud 

momma to 4 kiddos b(16) b(10) & my twins b/g(7) stepkids: b(15) g(10)

full time working momma

by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 2:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JoGibson
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 2:58 PM

No, sex offenders should not be near any child related events

Knightquester
by Silver Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 2:58 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm probably of no help to you as I do not have any children in girl scouts.  If I did and the scouts violated their own rules then I would pull my kids out because I wouldn't want them taught that it's alright to bend the rules if you know the right people.

A judge may have allowed this man around other children, but the judge is not involved with the scouts nor obligated to go by their rules.  It's up to the scouts to enforce their own rules, and if this parent wishes to make it a case then the scouts should be in court against him violating their rules.  Sure the loss is a possibility, but then the scouts would have backed up the rules they had made, and if it needs to be changed then let the courts force them to change it or they should make the change in their rule books before admitting members they say are in violation of their rules.

sallij
by Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 3:02 PM
1 mom liked this
Yeah, that's a problem for me. I supervise sex offenders, and am questioning the judge's call on that one. It's virtually the same victim pool.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
AuntieMom101
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 3:11 PM
1 mom liked this
Although I believe in 2nd chances and people can change for the better, I admit my paranoia a d fear would get the best of me in this case. If he were to continue being allowed I would find a new activity for my kids
belindah
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 3:16 PM
I wouldn't want him near my children and dh would freak we live by some sex offenders and we do not associate with them
WendyRhea
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 3:41 PM

I am currently a girl scout daisy troop leader and I would have a problem with this situation.  The first step I would take is simply talk to the offender myself and state your concerns and quote the rules in the girl scout handbook.  If he does not see anything wrong with what you are saying then tell him that it is your responsibilty as the troop leader to protect the children within your group.  I know it could truly hurt a child's heart if she could not participate in the group but that maybe what has to be done in order for this man to not be at the meetings.  Tell him this might have to be the next step and hopefully that would get his attention.

I also agree with the other comments that all people deserve second chances but sometimes the choices that were previously made can still hurt other people.  In the case his previous actions may still be "hurting" him.

Please keep us updated on what becomes of this situation.

hollydaze1974
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 4:04 PM
What was the offense?
storkradio193
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 4:17 PM
I imagine that I would not keep my daughter in that specific troop. I do not know the judge's exact ruling and decision, but the crime appears to have happened to someone within the same cohort (i.e. girl scouts).
sallij
by Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 4:42 PM
Statutory rape, per the post. I haven't read the stuff on the link yet.

Quoting hollydaze1974:

What was the offense?

hollydaze1974
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 6:58 PM
Sorry, missed it.

Quoting sallij:

Statutory rape, per the post. I haven't read the stuff on the link yet.

Quoting hollydaze1974:

What was the offense?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)