Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

i hate it when...

Posted by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 2:14 AM
  • 5 Replies
We were in Wal-Mart today (because you know all store stories start that way) and ds needed to use the bathroom. We had just finished with our fitting room fiasco where I had to go get a towel to wrap around him while he changed before he would even think about removing his clothes.
Ds has sensory processing disorder and as part of that he often does not feel when he has to pee. He leaks urine constantly. He always stinks and I hate it! He also can't wait a long time when he finally figures out he does have to go.
We walk in the bathrooms and all of the stalls are empty except the big one. This is not good. Ds cannot handle the small bathroom stalls. I encourage ds to try using a small stall. He insists he will wait. I try some techniques his ot taught me to help him cope with challenges like these. He walks in the small stall and comes right back out shaking. At this point he's asking me when they are going to be done because he has to go very badly and can't wait.
The thing is this whole time I can see the lady's feet who is occupying this stall. She's standing just inside the door. I assume she's in there with a young child.
About the time ds starts crying he can't hold it any longer and I tell him fine this person isn't coming out we're going to have to make a run for other bathrooms out walks an employee. She's texting. No toilet flush or anything. I know she could hear our entire conversation. And yet still she stood there and texted occupying the only stall my son can handle using. I know she heard me encouraging him reminding him how painful it used to be to have water on his face but he's learning and doing so much better with that. Reminding him how hard that first time was for him. But he was already on overload and I knew it. Doesn't keep me from always encouraging him to try but between the crowds, the artificial lighting, and the noises it was just too much.
Am I wrong to be frustrated?
And yes we are working on overcoming this before anybody says anything. He has anxiety as well and just him going in the stall to pee without me is a huge step for him. He's starting to be able to use the smaller stalls in very familiar places like church and school as well.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 2:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on Mar. 29, 2013 at 2:18 AM
But on the plus side gas was fifty cents a gallon cheaper down there and I found Easter clothes for both of my kids! Exciting stuff lol.
JoGibson
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 6:16 AM
It doesn't surprise me. It is just another part of the self obsessed generation coming to age.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ShelbysHope76
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 10:10 AM

That would really make me mad, I am quite certain I wouldn't let that lie. I am glad to hear that he is doing so much better though!

AuntieMom101
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 10:21 AM
Ok I have stay you are such a better person than I because I would have going all crazy on the _____(very very bad word).
I hate that this happens to anybody and I hate it more that it happens to kids :(
Crissy2424
by Bronze Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 10:44 AM

That is stupid that someone (if they were not disabled) took up unnecessary time in the stall.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)