Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Our Head Start Program and well...

Posted by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 2:46 AM
  • 11 Replies

So I dropped my daughter off at school today and was informed that a letter would be coming in the mail explaining that due to the "sequester" my daughters head start class is ended 2 wks ahead of schedule, 2 of her 3 teachers are out of a job and the remaining one (who's the coordinator at our school) had to take a pay cut that will force her to get a second job, to stay and work to keep our program. I'm angry, and so frusrated with the way our government seems to take away from our schools whenever they can't get their stuff together. I have written all of my local reps including our Gov. This isn't the 1st cut our rural community schools have seen, but with this enough is enough! I'm so tired of disappointing my kids because our government can't seem to get thier crap together. I have kids that are in High School, Middle School and Head Start. 

Any one else in the rural areas or outskirts that are having the same kind of cuts? Anyone else feel that educational cuts regardless of the location are not right? These kids our what our future holds...  Do we really want them to have less education? 

I'm just heart broken, my daughter has come so far... we teach at home, try to have learning experiences, answer questions... but there is something to be said for the classroom environment and peers that mom and dad cannot compete with! 

by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 2:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on Mar. 29, 2013 at 2:48 AM
I live in a rural area but u homeschool so no problem with cuts.
I'm sorry they're doing that :(
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mommyoffarmkids
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 7:43 AM
Haven't seen anything with our school system yet. However I work with USDA and we have been informed we will have some major fur-lows and will not even discuss how many days at this point. And I know an army base close by had to cut their planes by half and the employees are fur-lowed 22 days. That's almost a months pay. Not easy to get but when something like this happens!
JeremysMom
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 7:47 AM
My job will likely be cut due to the sequestration. I am good for my current contract but come August I will very likely be out of a job.
mumsy2three
by Shauna on Mar. 29, 2013 at 8:19 AM

Not sure how but I'm sure our local head start will be affected by it. I work in education and so far no issues but who knows what is coming.

My friend's husband works for a defense production plant in our area, his company has furloughed all employees one day per week starting in April. 

LaughingTattoo
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 8:20 AM

They are cutting our local HS as well.....1500 kids will be dropped from it :(

Crissy2424
by Bronze Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 8:34 AM

Last year or recently there was a risk of pay cuts at my local college. The teachers had to give up bonuses and raises to pool together the money so they wouldn't all lose their jobs. Otherwise, there was just a voting for the school systems here to keep the funds they have so I think they are all okay. Still, that really stinks!

AuntieMom101
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 10:09 AM
So far I have not seen anything but I am really praying that DH will agree to let me homeschool soon. I am really frustrated with our system out here. (Not budget related). My hubby works for a USDA inspected facility and one of the inspectors said he got a letter saying that their hours would be cut which means the plant hours will be cut too.
I think the sequester really sucks all the way around. But education is so very important and our kids shouldn't suffer because we have elected people in office who can't think about the "real" people :(
SirensEko
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 9:51 PM

Wow.. all I can say is I'm so sorry for everyone! This is so frustrating on every level! I appreciate all the comments and my heart goes out to you all! The only thng I feel I can do is send ltrs... will it actually do anything... more than likely not.. but at least I feel I'm doing something! I urge you all to try the same! I just hate that this is an issue... good luck to everyone and I truley hope things look up for all that posted! :)

e-doolittle
by Kelly on Apr. 1, 2013 at 11:41 PM
Hugs!
KylesMom409
by Linnette on Apr. 2, 2013 at 6:47 AM
They will be making major budget cuts next school year here. :( It's sad and wrong and we stress to our kids how important their education is, why can't the government see that as well? No schools, no teachers, no learning? What a mess.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN