Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Family Vacation ideas?!

Posted by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 1:26 PM
  • 27 Replies
My husband and I are wanting to take our daughters, 5 and 9, on a vacation sometime this summer. We've never taken a vacation, because we are both so consumed with work, but need it bad! We are in Kansas City; he wants to drive, I want to fly. I don't want to be stuck in the car for hours, especially with kids and I want my kids to experience a plane ride. We are wanting some where tropical, but I don't want to mess with passports so we will have to stay in the US. I know Disney is a great idea, but I also know its extremely expensive so I'm looking for other avenues. My youngest has this vision of swimming with dolphins too! I get extremely homesick so I need a nice, clean place that will make me feel comfortable. I don't drink around my kids, but I want to be able to do that, relax and have a good time (I know I sound so boring, but I'm so paranoid :-)!) Any good suggestions?
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 1:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
liss05
by Gold Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 1:49 PM
1 mom liked this

Go on a cruise you can do all of the above and then some.We went on a cruise in January and went to FL(DIsney) and then to the Bahamas(No passport needed just need Photo ID). The year before we spent our whole vacation in FL and went to Discovery Cove which is AMAZING and swam with the dolphins I believe there is also a few other places you can swim with the dolphins.

MinglingMom
by Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 1:52 PM
2 moms liked this

My family went to Discovery Cove a few years ago in Florida. You pay a flat rate per person and you spend the WHOLE day at this resort where you get to swim with dophins, plus all meals, snacks and drinks (alcoholic drinks are probably extra) are included. I don't know how much it was but my aunt said it was definitely the experience of a lifetime for the kids and they had a great time. They also do packages where you can go to Sea World and Busch Gardens. Probably worth looking in to.

TableforSeven
by Judy on Mar. 30, 2013 at 4:44 PM
1 mom liked this

Just an FYI - if you end up at Discovery Cove....your ynger child will not be allowed to swim/interact with the dolphins....unless she has her birthday before your trip.  Children must be 6 to do these things there.

countrymomma81
by Platinum Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 6:03 PM

We went on our first vacation to Perdido Key Florida last year. I didn't see where you could swim with dolphins but there are tons of family friendly things to do. Orange Beach and Gulf Shores are right down the road. 

We are going to Branson this summer. Next year we are going to Galveston/Kemah for spring break and then going to Gatliburg for Thanksgiving. 

mommybug77
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 6:13 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm in Chicago, not tropical but lots to do.
Dlunsford
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 7:06 PM
Quoting TableforSeven:

Just an FYI - if you end up at Discovery Cove....your ynger child will not be allowed to swim/interact with the dolphins....unless she has her birthday before your trip.  Children must be 6 to do these things there.

I saw that :-(
Dlunsford
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 7:08 PM
Quoting countrymomma81:

We went on our first vacation to Perdido Key Florida last year. I didn't see where you could swim with dolphins but there are tons of family friendly things to do. Orange Beach and Gulf Shores are right down the road. 

We are going to Branson this summer. Next year we are going to Galveston/Kemah for spring break and then going to Gatliburg for Thanksgiving. 

I was thinking maybe Branson too....it's just a couple hours away and it would give us more time to plan a bigger vacation. Plus, my youngest will be a little older too.
billssweety
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 8:00 PM

Check out Disney packages through SW.

countrymomma81
by Platinum Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 8:13 PM

Quoting Dlunsford:

Quoting countrymomma81:

I was thinking maybe Branson too....it's just a couple hours away and it would give us more time to plan a bigger vacation. Plus, my youngest will be a little older too.

It wasn't my first pick but we did the beach last year and I always said I'd never be one of those families that took the same vacation every year. The kids asked to go back but then my MIL fell sick and asked us to bring her over there. She's been before but she always said it was her dream to go back with her kids and grandkids. Well, part of her dream is coming true. SIL and her husband (they don't have kids) are going along with DH, myself and our kids. Her older son isn't coming. 

It took some convincing to get my husband to go along. You'd think he would have wanted to since it's his mom but he said he didn't want to pay for a vacation he didn't really want to take. I talked him into it though. 

Saphira1207
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 8:42 PM

Grand Canyon!

And don't take a plane!  drive.  You'll see a lot more of the country that way!

(My personal disclaimer:  I admit to a bias against taking away citizen rights just to be allowed to ride on transportation that's paid for, in large part, by taxpayers via subsidies.  If you take a plane, your kids are likely to be considered terror suspects until proven innocent via being touched in their private areas and their underwear searched.  As will you.  Is the experience really worth the violation?  IMO, no.  And it never will be.   And since all but 1 attack has been stopped by other passengers and not homeland security or TSA, I'd say they aren't as trustworthy as they want people to believe.   Anyone who doesn't believe me I challenge you to show me one report from the TSA or Homeland security showing how many attacks they've stopped in the last 10 years.  I checked into it last year and only found one propoganda "report" that in actuality gave no real information about thwarted attacks and only promoted how "well" they were doing.    OK, rant over.  :)   )

But I still think you should go to the canyon.  It's my absolute favorite place in the whole world!  And there's mules to get rides on as well as the sky walk and - last time I was there - just south of it there was a Flintstones adventure park.  Like disney but with the flintstones.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN