Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

How much milk??

Posted by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 6:35 PM
  • 14 Replies
Hello everyboady . My baby Alan is 3 months ,and i gave him formula each 3 hours 7 oz. my husband get angry and he says that i feed him alot .but he looks like he still hungry and he keeps cry and cry even he become blue from crying so i gave him milk again some times only after 2 hours and also 7 oz.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 6:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MJP76
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 6:37 PM
3 moms liked this

You should ask your doctor. Every baby is different. 

rgba
by Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 6:37 PM
Cow milk? Stop. Very dangerous for infants.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Calayia
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 10:19 PM
At three months, babies usually go through a growth spurt. He might need more formula. I would definately call your child's pediatrician if you are concerned. Why would your husband get angry?
Fitfamilyof9
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 11:42 PM
2 moms liked this

Make sure you have a slow flow bottle nipple.  Some babies need to feed very frequently.  Also, when they are processing something sometimes they just wante to suck to comfort themselves.  (I'm not an advocate of pacifiers though).  If it's fairly quickly after you've fed him then try soothing him in other ways.  The 5 S's are good to go through too. Swaddling, side/stomach laying (usually in your arms), Shushing (similar sounds as in utero), swinging, and sucking.  I breast fed my kids and it felt like they were nursing all the time!!  It's normal for babies to do that.  Boobs run out of milk and don't have air so it's not a biggie if a baby suckles to calm himself down, bottles aren't the same so sometimes you have to get creative.  But above all else, trust your gut.  Always.  You are his mother and you KNOW what is right for him.  Feeding schedules don't really work for most babies.  I'd recommend looking into attatchment parenting.  It sometimes seems like a lot of work but really it's just parenting by instinct, doing what you know is right for your baby.  You are his first advocate, don't let others bully you into thinking he's not typical because of this or that.  My babies nursed at least every two hours the first three months or so.  Two of my babies wouldn't sleep on anything that wasn't breathing (and trust me we tried!) until they were three months old.  It was so much work back then but now I have a 12, 9, 6, and 4 year olds that are awesome children (they always have been).

((hugs))  You're doing great.

jackiewal10
by Bronze Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 11:48 PM

Whoa!!  That is WAY too much mama.  If you also feed him through the night, that is 56 oz of formula a day.  IMO, all this overfeeding has just enlarged his stomach to the point where he feels that he NEEDS to eat, but really, he doesn't.  I would be willing to bet that he's not crying out of hunger. Is it possible that he's in pain?  From overfeeding or gas?  Have you tried other things calm him down instead of feeding him?  Now, I've only ever BF, but most of my friends have FF and none of them have ever fed more than 3-4 ounces at a time, every 3 or so hours. 7 oz. is just way too much.

MixedCooke
by Silver Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 12:41 AM

that young should actually be fed closer to every 2 hours.  I would go based on how much the baby takes, so if he is hungry even after 7 oz, I have no problem giving him more. 

tigerstripes12
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 12:56 AM

it does sound like too much food but the best thing to do is talk to the baby's doctor.  have them check his weight and if he isn't gaining too much too fast, then maybe he just needs a lot.  every baby is different and there is a growth spurt around this time.  i do advocate pacifiers, and know from experience that if he's really hungry, and not just wanting to suck on something, the pacifier will NOT keep him from crying to let you know it's food he wants.  also make sure you're burping him every 3-4 oz or else some of that crying might be gas and the continued "feeding" is really just sucking to soothe.  a slow flow nipple is good to help him eat less because he will eat slower and realize he is full sooner.  however, if he's not used to these kinds of nipples, he may get frustrated because they don't give up the milk as easily (just warning).

moonylooney
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 7:31 AM

Quoting rgba:

Cow milk? Stop. Very dangerous for infants.

no formula

moonylooney
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 7:32 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Fitfamilyof9:

Make sure you have a slow flow bottle nipple.  Some babies need to feed very frequently.  Also, when they are processing something sometimes they just wante to suck to comfort themselves.  (I'm not an advocate of pacifiers though).  If it's fairly quickly after you've fed him then try soothing him in other ways.  The 5 S's are good to go through too. Swaddling, side/stomach laying (usually in your arms), Shushing (similar sounds as in utero), swinging, and sucking.  I breast fed my kids and it felt like they were nursing all the time!!  It's normal for babies to do that.  Boobs run out of milk and don't have air so it's not a biggie if a baby suckles to calm himself down, bottles aren't the same so sometimes you have to get creative.  But above all else, trust your gut.  Always.  You are his mother and you KNOW what is right for him.  Feeding schedules don't really work for most babies.  I'd recommend looking into attatchment parenting.  It sometimes seems like a lot of work but really it's just parenting by instinct, doing what you know is right for your baby.  You are his first advocate, don't let others bully you into thinking he's not typical because of this or that.  My babies nursed at least every two hours the first three months or so.  Two of my babies wouldn't sleep on anything that wasn't breathing (and trust me we tried!) until they were three months old.  It was so much work back then but now I have a 12, 9, 6, and 4 year olds that are awesome children (they always have been).

((hugs))  You're doing great.

Thanks alot your answer helped me alot . God Bless your children

moonylooney
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 7:32 AM

Quoting tigerstripes12:

it does sound like too much food but the best thing to do is talk to the baby's doctor.  have them check his weight and if he isn't gaining too much too fast, then maybe he just needs a lot.  every baby is different and there is a growth spurt around this time.  i do advocate pacifiers, and know from experience that if he's really hungry, and not just wanting to suck on something, the pacifier will NOT keep him from crying to let you know it's food he wants.  also make sure you're burping him every 3-4 oz or else some of that crying might be gas and the continued "feeding" is really just sucking to soothe.  a slow flow nipple is good to help him eat less because he will eat slower and realize he is full sooner.  however, if he's not used to these kinds of nipples, he may get frustrated because they don't give up the milk as easily (just warning).

Thanks , The doctor told me  it is ok but he has alot of gaz

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)