Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

My ex husband has petitioned the catholic church for an annulment. We dated 2 years. Were married 5 years and have 2 children as a result of our marriage. We split because he didn't want to be a husband anymore and he thought he was depressed...which I was supportive of., but said was no reason for a divorce. He started dating a girl 1 year after our divorce was final and became engaged to her. She is Catholic. NEITHER of us are catholic and he doesn't want to become catholic. He can't understand why I am offended that he wants our marriage to be annulled. I don't want to be married to him, that isn't why I am upset, I am quite at peace with the divorce now and think it was a blessing in disguise. That being said I was still in my marriage for the right reasons. Would you be upset if your ex wanted to have your marriage judged as invalid?

by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 1:02 PM
Replies (31-40):
e-doolittle
by Kelly on Apr. 2, 2013 at 4:17 PM
It happens all the time in the catholic church. It's a racket. Doesn't matter if there were kids.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lcm3181
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 5:59 PM

Speak of the devil...The annulment has gone through, so far. Now it is going to another Archidioses to be appealed.

conniejo75
by Bronze Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 6:06 PM
He's not trying to get a legal annulment. They are already divorced. He is trying to get the catholic church to let him get married in a catholic church... which they annul it on their "records" only. Some religions do this... Mormons do this to if a divorced person wants to be married to a new spouse in the temple.

Quoting Knightquester:

It's doubtful if you two were married for 5 years and had children together that he would be granted an annulment.  It sounds like a brainless move on his part, if he wants it over divorce is his best and most likely only option.

Grounds for Annulment:

Bigamy - either party was already married to another person at the time of the marriage

Forced Consent - one of the spouses was forced or threatened into marriage and only entered into it under duress

Fraud - one of the spouses agreed to the marriage based on the lies or misrepresentation of the other

Marriage Prohibited By Law - marriage between parties that based on their familial relationship is considered incestuous

Mental Illness - either spouse was mentally ill or emotionally disturbed at the time of the marriage

Mental Incapacity - either spouse was under the influence of alcohol or drugs at the time of the marriage and was unable to make informed consent

Inability to Consummate Marriage - either spouse was physically incapable of having sexual relations or impotent during the marriage

Underage Marriage - either spouse was too young to enter into marriage without parental consent or court approval

Since he was in the marriage for 5 years it doesn't sound like the mental illness or depression can be grounds for his annulment unless he started anti-depressants before or around the time you two married and was on them during the entire time.

I would go with your back straight and testify that you two married, why, when, and how things were.  Bring wedding pictures of him smiling, ask for witnesses that are friends and family who know you both and can attest he willingly entered a marriage with you.  Make him out to be the fool he is acting like, and maybe he'll get why you're upset.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FrenchGrey
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 6:28 PM

If you werent married in a Catholic church then you can't be anulled by the church. Also...he would have to prove that your marriage was a fraud. 

Diane1223
by Bronze Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 6:44 PM

Not if I wanted to be out of the marriage. 

PinkButterfly66
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 7:55 PM

It is a horrible thing to do to his kids.  Don't you have to approve of the annulment?

PinkButterfly66
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 7:58 PM

My brother-in-law tried to get his marriage to my sister annuled and they have a child.  I dunno if it was approved or not.

Quoting BlueJane:

I thought you could only annul because of fraud or lying or no kids. There doesn't seem to be any grounds for annulment.
I would be so hurt if my dh decided he didn't want our marriage to ever have exsisted. It's one thing to break up and get divorced but another to deny it ever happened.

Quoting Pukalani79:

I'm so sorry.  I would be extremely hurt if that happened.  What are the grounds he's seeking the annullment on?

anotherandree
by Inga on Apr. 2, 2013 at 7:59 PM

Sucks to be them because an annulment is damn near impossible to actually get.

Quoting lcm3181:

Quoting Pukalani79:

I'm so sorry.  I would be extremely hurt if that happened.  What are the grounds he's seeking the annullment on?

He and his fiance can't get married in her catholic church if he is divorced.

kahlansmommy
by Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 9:15 PM

I am sorry he is such a jackass. I hope this helps with the answer of the annulment. I have no opinion either way, however. I do understand the reasoning why you are upset

The reason for an annulment is if they want to marry in the Catholic church or by a priest. They cannot marry in the Catholic way if his previous marriage is not annuled.

ScrChk23
by Amanda on Apr. 2, 2013 at 9:38 PM
The reason he wants it annulled is so that they can be married in a Catholic Church. The Church only recognizes one marriage. There is a very lengthy process in order to obtain an annulment. I doubt the Church grant an annulment for the reasons you stated your marriage ended.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)