Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

My ex husband has petitioned the catholic church for an annulment. We dated 2 years. Were married 5 years and have 2 children as a result of our marriage. We split because he didn't want to be a husband anymore and he thought he was depressed...which I was supportive of., but said was no reason for a divorce. He started dating a girl 1 year after our divorce was final and became engaged to her. She is Catholic. NEITHER of us are catholic and he doesn't want to become catholic. He can't understand why I am offended that he wants our marriage to be annulled. I don't want to be married to him, that isn't why I am upset, I am quite at peace with the divorce now and think it was a blessing in disguise. That being said I was still in my marriage for the right reasons. Would you be upset if your ex wanted to have your marriage judged as invalid?

by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 1:02 PM
Replies (41-45):
drivenleonian
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:48 PM
It seems that he's trying to give his g/f her dream of marrying in the church. Why should you have anything to do with that? Don't lie to the church. They may want to know that he doesn't plan to be Catholic. If you have proof from him, they won't allow him to marry in the church. It's a personal choice if you allow it to continue and get approved. By not being catholic, you shouldn't care what the church says or does. It's not a legal annulment.
I hope your X realizes he's being deceitful. That's no way to start off his new marriage.
Good luck. I hope everything works out.

Quoting lcm3181:

Speak of the devil...The annulment has gone through, so far. Now it is going to another Archidioses to be appealed.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ooCherryo0
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:32 PM

I thought having sex made it so you couldn't get it annulled.... I wish I could annulle my first marrage... That guy is a dush.... But we had a kid together.

jessiedee
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:39 PM

I am not divorced but I would totally be offended. He cannot just write off the time you spent together. I hope I do not offend but he is acting like a jerk. Though you are not together, you are always going to be connected by your children so to think he can just "pretend" that this part of his life did not happen is just ludicrous.

Cate1129
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:36 PM
Unless he outright lies to a priest about the reasons for your divorce, the Catholic Church won't grant it. Their stance is adultery or abuse, and he was the victim of neither. He sounds like a selfish, spoiled jerk, and I'm glad you're rid of him! Hope he is a better father than he was a husband.
lcm3181
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 4:00 PM
I don't know what he and his witnesses said on their testimonies. We had a marriage and it didn't work. I was willing to go to counseling, get help and even told him that I would work things out with him until the day the divorce is final. Of course it was only a couple months after the divorce finalized that he came crawling back. But by then I learned his true character and said no. Selfish is a great word to describe him.

Quoting Cate1129:

Unless he outright lies to a priest about the reasons for your divorce, the Catholic Church won't grant it. Their stance is adultery or abuse, and he was the victim of neither. He sounds like a selfish, spoiled jerk, and I'm glad you're rid of him! Hope he is a better father than he was a husband.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)