Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Come on hubby!

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 1:41 PM
  • 6 Replies

I wish my hubby would ask for a raise already.  He works in commercial refrigeration.  He is the only one in his company who also knows HVAC.  He is in charge of the hiring of employees on the hvac side and is the one who coordinates all hvac services and installs.  His boss does not even know hvac.  The company did not do that at all until they hired hubby 3 years ago.

His boss has asked how much he pays him before and said he needs to give him a raise but he's never done it.  The other day they had this conversation:

Hubby: wow, I think I'm a little high.  You'd have to fire me for doing drugs on the job right now (totally joking btw)

Boss: why?  What have you been doing?

Hubby: using pvc cement in the attic has really gone to my head

Boss:  *laughs* oh I could never fire you even if you were doing drugs up there.  And if I did get mad and fire you I would regret it and hire you back in 5 minutes.  

The thing is he hasn't gotten a raise in 3 years.  He recently found out that someone who is a "grunt" (aka has no certificiations and no schooling or knowledge in the field) gets paid more than he does!  

At this point he is looking for a new job.  With his certificiations and such he should be getting about $8/hour more and while we aren't living paycheck to paycheck yet things aren't easy either.  He has a couple of other job offers as well he is still talking to people about.  Apparently it's not common for people to know both commercial refrigeration and HVAC and HVAC techs are in high demand right now.

Do you think he should ask for a raise?

Being a full-time mother is one of the highest salaried jobs in my field, since the payment is pure love.  ~Mildred B. Vermont
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 1:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
grneyedormom
by Kendra on Apr. 1, 2013 at 1:45 PM
Yes, but he should also weigh the benefits of the new job offers compared to what he is getting with the current job now. Pay/benefits/vacation and sick time.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Jinxed8
by Gold Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 1:49 PM

yes he should ask for a raise ... he should let his boss know that his salary is not up to par and put the fear in him that he may be considering taking a job elsewhere.  

Sometimes bosses don't know what they got till it's gone - or they take you for granted until you give then an ultimatum

ooCherryo0
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 2:46 PM

Him asking for a raise would be the best option. If they don't want to give it to him then he should leave... Just with a new company he would have to start over....

iluvmybabe
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 6:21 PM
I think he should also ask for a raise. If they say no at least he already has some job prospects.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
liliem
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 2:01 PM

He should secure a job and then lets say he wants $8, he should ask for $16 then negotiate down to his lowest $8 (my husband did a little better with this since I taught him the technique). But its really hard to do this unless you are ready to walk out and have something to fall on. So if he goes in and says, "I really love my job here and love working with you, etc... BUT, I haven't received a raise and feel that I am not appreciated enough here, especially given that I know this guy makes (whatever amount) and I know this because (don't throw anyone under the bus here, hopefully you have a good reason to know why). Then pause and wait for a reaction. If they don't say yes right away, he can then mention the other offer's, he could say they are through people he knows or whatever, and then say he wants to stay and request an offer they are willing to pay to keep him. Then see what they say... Hopefully you end up with exactly what you want. Do NOT walk out if they don't give you your minimum, just give 2 weeks notice or whatever you think is adequate for them to replace his position... never burn a bridge. I hope this advice helps... It worked with me and my husband many times.

JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on Apr. 2, 2013 at 2:08 PM

Thanks

He knows the other guy's salary because the other guy was moving out of state and told him his pay would stay at $25/hour.  So it doesn't matter if he throws him under the bus he no longer works there anyways :)

Quoting liliem:

He should secure a job and then lets say he wants $8, he should ask for $16 then negotiate down to his lowest $8 (my husband did a little better with this since I taught him the technique). But its really hard to do this unless you are ready to walk out and have something to fall on. So if he goes in and says, "I really love my job here and love working with you, etc... BUT, I haven't received a raise and feel that I am not appreciated enough here, especially given that I know this guy makes (whatever amount) and I know this because (don't throw anyone under the bus here, hopefully you have a good reason to know why). Then pause and wait for a reaction. If they don't say yes right away, he can then mention the other offer's, he could say they are through people he knows or whatever, and then say he wants to stay and request an offer they are willing to pay to keep him. Then see what they say... Hopefully you end up with exactly what you want. Do NOT walk out if they don't give you your minimum, just give 2 weeks notice or whatever you think is adequate for them to replace his position... never burn a bridge. I hope this advice helps... It worked with me and my husband many times.

Being a full-time mother is one of the highest salaried jobs in my field, since the payment is pure love.  ~Mildred B. Vermont
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)