Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Babysitter.....need opinions please **update 4/6/13**

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 3:01 PM
  • 34 Replies

Update 4/6/13

Well, we met with the lady that does childcare out of her home. AWESOME...the house is bright (with natural light), cribs, toys.  She interacted with him great! She has 6 children so my son would make 7.  3 of them are full timers & the others are 2 days a week. DS starts Monday.  I hated to not give notice, but it's what we thought was best. 

Update 4/3/13

So far, 1 lady can take him, and a daycare center can take him.  The lady has been doing this for 20+ years & has a lot less children than the current sitter.  She has a few part timers & maybe 3 full timers.  That makes me feel better. She was highly recommended by several co-workers of my mom.  I will continue to search & hopefully by the end of the week we will have a new sitter  girl giving flower

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My son is 6 months old. He is just now having to start going to the sitter full time, he's been home with DH 3 days a week. There are several kids at her house, mostly 2+....He is 1 of 2 that are under 6 months old. When we pick him up or drop him off, there is usually the other little one in his bouncer just cryin away. I went to "help" the lil guy on Friday b/c he was fussin & actually had real tears. I turned his little chair around & he was a lil more content, he just wanted to see everyone. And she just said "he's not happy, but he's ok"
Here's my situation.... I texted her today to see how he was doin, I got back "he's not happy, but he's ok" BROKE my heart!! So my lil one is sitting in his seat crying it out. He's teething.... AND when she feeds the babies she just lays him across her knees & sticks the bottle in their mouth. No nuturing....no nothing. DH & I have mentioned to eachothert in the past how she is with the kids....but who will you find to only charge you on the days that your kids are there? Most places charge you weather baby is there or not.

What would you do....would you start hunting for another sitter since he will be going 4-5 days a week now? I really don't want to "talk to her about it". She's an older woman...and set in her ways.

by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 3:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TTC2Long
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 3:03 PM
1 mom liked this
Definitely find another care provider. I couldn't knowingly keep sending him there for that kind of care.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Roxygurl
by Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 3:04 PM
1 mom liked this
My child is more important than money and I'd find another sitter even if they charge a set amount every week regardless of how many days my kid goes.

You really get what you pay for, I'm a nanny and I see that daily around this neighborhood.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SMTCMMoore
by Bronze Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 3:05 PM
I wouldn't pay for that sort of care.
JoGibson
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 3:07 PM

if you have already had a talk with eachother then you already feel she is not right.  So I would look for a new siter.

k8smimi
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 3:24 PM

I'm older and  I watch my two granddaughters everyday and another child two days a week.  Their ages are 5, 2 and 3.  I would like to watch another 1-2 children due to the oldest here starting school in the fall and her sister going to preschool three days a week.  I believe in keeping the number I watch low so I can give them losts of attention.  I do not view my job in terms of money (quantity of kids vs quality of care  they receive) but the impact I am making on them for their futures.  Working mothers need to feel comfortable with their providers especially when your little one can't speak for themselves.  Drop in unannounced a few times and see what is taking place..  Our children are our most valued possession in life and money shouldn't be the determining factor in your decision.  How do you put a price on your childs happiness?  How many kids are in her care daily?

AuntieMom101
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 3:28 PM
Time for a new sitter. When I had to take my kids to sitters if I had ANY doubts in my mind then I told the sitter my issues. If not resolved then I took the kids to someone else. The way I see it you are paying them to take care of your kids the way you want. If they can't then they should not be paid. You would be fired from a job for not following your job description
jackiewal10
by Bronze Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 3:32 PM
1 mom liked this

I would find a new sitter.  This one seems to have too many kids and doesn't have the "time" for all of them.  IMO, it's worth paying for days you aren't there if you find a sitter or a center who is going to love your kid(s).  Also, is she licensed?  Because, in MOST states there are limits to how many kids you can have.  And I think if you have 2 infants, that's ALL you can have.  Infants under 1 year are required (in Illinois) to have a 2 to 1 ratio.  Two babies to 1 adult.  That's it.  This woman sounds overwhelmed.  I wouldn't leave my baby there knowing he would likely just be sitting in a bouncy chair and "not happy".

lesh1013
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 3:34 PM

I don't put a price on my son's happiness....I can't do that.  I wouldn't care how much it cost me as long as I know he's in good hands.  I couldn't agree with you more as far as the impact you will have on these children, that was what I focused on when I worked at a local daycare out of HS.  She has a lot of part timers....and if there are too many kids she has her grandkids (who are out of HS) come over.  One is a paramedic.  But I'd say....on the days that all children were to come, she would have 10 or so. 

I think our decision is made.  I just needed some other mommies opinions :) 

Thank you

Quoting k8smimi:

I'm older and  I watch my two granddaughters everyday and another child two days a week.  Their ages are 5, 2 and 3.  I would like to watch another 1-2 children due to the oldest here starting school in the fall and her sister going to preschool three days a week.  I believe in keeping the number I watch low so I can give them losts of attention.  I do not view my job in terms of money (quantity of kids vs quality of care  they receive) but the impact I am making on them for their futures.  Working mothers need to feel comfortable with their providers especially when your little one can't speak for themselves.  Drop in unannounced a few times and see what is taking place..  Our children are our most valued possession in life and money shouldn't be the determining factor in your decision.  How do you put a price on your childs happiness?  How many kids are in her care daily?

JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on Apr. 1, 2013 at 3:34 PM

Find a new sitter.  Maybe even a SAHM who is willing to watch him.  If you lived near me I would do it :)

lesh1013
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 3:38 PM

:)  Thanks!! I agree...I think it's time for a change.  My neighbor was a SAHM until she decided to go to work (after 4+ years off) like a month or so before I had baby....and she was goin to watch baby. 

This is all new to me.  First time mom....first time having to do all this.  Although when my sis had sitter problems it was easy for me to spout off "pull them" 

This is the first time I've checked up on him since he started goin to her & the comment broke my heart.  4:30 can't get here fast enough. 

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

Find a new sitter.  Maybe even a SAHM who is willing to watch him.  If you lived near me I would do it :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN