Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

PLEASE HELP!!!!!

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 10:55 PM
  • 13 Replies

We have black mold in the closet in our master bathroom because the shower leaks. We have not used the shower since we realized it was leaking about three three months ago. Im sure the mld is in the walls as well. We have also had problems with our septic backing up in our yard. for several months now. We are renting and our landlord was informed of these problems as soon as we became aware of them. She had the septic tank pumped but it didn't fix the problems. There is still a horrible smell every time we run he water and water comes up in the yard. We can't use one of our toilets becaus it won't flush. It just fills up with water.  We call her almost every day about all this and she keeps telling us she is waiting for the plumber to call her back.

The reason I am so upset about this is, my youngest,who just turned one, has been really sick. She has bronchitis four times in the last two month and they now they  think she has asthma. She has also been hospitalized due to breathing difficulty.My older two children have also been sick several times. My 5yr old has been throwing up all afternoon. I have talked to their pediatrician and he says it is most likely due to the issues with our house. 

Like I said, my landlord has been aware of all this for months has done very little to fix it. I have told her about my  kids being sick. I have even threatened to call environmental health if she doesn't fix the problems.  My question is, can I actually call environmental health?  Will they do anything? Is there anyone else I can call? If you have any idea what I should do in this situation, please help. I am on the verge of taking my children and staying with my mom. I also want to add that my rent is paid up until the end of May when my lease ends.  Please no bashing.

by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 10:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cjsix
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 10:58 PM

Contact your local tentant landlord association and your city's building department...they take complaints on property which is not up to code and where you are is definately not up to code.

mommymom1284
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 11:02 PM

I will do exactly that first thing in the morning. I am going to google now to try to find a number. Thank you.

Quoting cjsix:

Contact your local tentant landlord association and your city's building department...they take complaints on property which is not up to code and where you are is definately not up to code.

Mrs_Nelson
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 11:03 PM
Call code enforcement and your local tenant/landlord dept. Also I would start looking for a new apt or house. The unreliable landlord and bad conditions are enough to break a lease plus you have your doc to back up your claim that the house itself was a danger to your lo's.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TNT2
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 11:08 PM

I no expert or anything but you should try it !!  the worst they can say is no.   I know here in Md if you write a letter they have 30 days to fix the problem then you can go to the courts with it and you will have a case.  Maybe that will work.   

I hope i helped a little

cjsix
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 11:12 PM

You're very welcome. Let them know about the rent being paid till May and about your babies being sick.

Quoting mommymom1284:

I will do exactly that first thing in the morning. I am going to google now to try to find a number. Thank you.

Quoting cjsix:

ali840
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 11:15 PM
Sounds awful. I'm so sorry :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommymom1284
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 11:20 PM

I wish I could start looking for something new but I really can't afford to mve right now. My only option is to stay with my mom, which I very well may to do. The worst part is I have already paid my rent up until the en of May. We had planned to renew our lease but that will not be happening now.

Quoting Mrs_Nelson:

Call code enforcement and your local tenant/landlord dept. Also I would start looking for a new apt or house. The unreliable landlord and bad conditions are enough to break a lease plus you have your doc to back up your claim that the house itself was a danger to your lo's.

mjimaging
by Melissa on Apr. 1, 2013 at 11:27 PM
Take the mold seriously. We had mold in Texas but we didn't know it. DS was sick all the time. Ear infections almost monthly and fevers of 104+ as well. Green snotty nose and general miserableness. We moved and he has not been nearly as sick since. He gets a cold now and then but nothing like before. No fevers, no ear infections. His teeth got messed up though from the fevers. The dentist believes that the high fevers caused the enamel not to form and now he has crumbly teeth. Mold is very serious and I'd find any way needed to leave. You may be able to sue for your rent money back as te home was unliveable. Take pictures of everything too. I hate bad landlords. We've had our share.
mommymom1284
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 11:31 PM

I am going to call everyone I can in the morning and see if I can possibly get someone out here to look at it tomorrow. I have a feeling I will be at either my mom's or df's mom's by the weekend:( 

Quoting mjimaging:

Take the mold seriously. We had mold in Texas but we didn't know it. DS was sick all the time. Ear infections almost monthly and fevers of 104+ as well. Green snotty nose and general miserableness. We moved and he has not been nearly as sick since. He gets a cold now and then but nothing like before. No fevers, no ear infections. His teeth got messed up though from the fevers. The dentist believes that the high fevers caused the enamel not to form and now he has crumbly teeth. Mold is very serious and I'd find any way needed to leave. You may be able to sue for your rent money back as te home was unliveable. Take pictures of everything too. I hate bad landlords. We've had our share.

e-doolittle
by Kelly on Apr. 1, 2013 at 11:35 PM
So sorry yu are going through this. Don't mess with mold!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN