Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

baby shower ideas. HELP

Posted by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 7:26 PM
  • 8 Replies
I need some ideas. Ok, my friend's baby was due may 17, but Emileigh just couldn't wait that long. She was born on January 19th weighing 1lb 2oz. Needless to say she's still in the nicu & will be for a few more months. My friend is staying at the Ronald mc Donald house & hasn't left Emileigh's side except for a few hours a day to eat or sleep. We never got to throw her a baby shower because she went into labor so early. So we're thinking about giving her one in a few weeks just to get her out of the hospital around some adult company, without a nursing degree, & try to lift her spirits. I'm sure you nicu mommies know how stressful that life can be. So I'm coming to you wonderful ladies to ask for shower ideas for a mommy who has already had her baby.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 7:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Apr. 2, 2013 at 9:55 PM
In our church, we only do showers after baby is born. Just do the same things as you would do if baby was still inside mom, except the measuring of moms belly. Get decorations that mom could put up in baby room to decorate wherever you are having the shower.
AmesCSki
by Bronze Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 10:03 PM
I also had a NICU baby and she came to her own shower when she was 2 months old! We didn't do the games that had originally been planned (baby bingo for example) but there was a cake and decorations and gifts from the registry. I know your friend's baby won't be able to attend the shower but definitely do the same stuff you'd do at a shower pre-baby. Maybe in addition to baby gifts, give stuff to the mom to make her feel better and keep busy when she is at the Ronald McDonald house--some good magazines, snacks, craft supplies if she's into that? Just an idea.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mbpeaceful12
by Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:04 AM
If she refuses to leave the room or the hospital, can you host a baby shower for her there? Or would you be willing to have one there for her? Even if she does not leave the place, by you changing the atmosphere or environment would be like a different place.
oliver92
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 2:11 AM

You are pretty much going to be doing the same thing, lots of people do not celebrate until after the baby has arrived.  In her case, you are going to need to pamper that mama, get her things to occupy her time, find out what she needs, what would help her, there are so many things that can offer her some support and comfort in the hospital. Its a great idea, if she is up to having a party, otherwise you may need to wait. 

Proud.mama.of2
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 6:47 AM
ThankS Ladies. She Has Agreed That She Needs The Time Away... we're Probably Doing It At A Nearby Park If Is Nice Out.

Quoting Mbpeaceful12:

If she refuses to leave the room or the hospital, can you host a baby shower for her there? Or would you be willing to have one there for her? Even if she does not leave the place, by you changing the atmosphere or environment would be like a different place.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Jinxed8
by Gold Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:36 AM

Make it a shower for both mom and baby, of course at this point, the mom needs pampering, do like a regular baby shower with games, gifts and whatnots ... I'm sure the mom will be very appreciative

Strawberry2008
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 12:38 AM

Just my opinion, as kind as your idea is....if my baby was in the hospital I don't think I could enjoy myself being somewhere else, as I would be thinking the whole time about how I should be with my baby....maybe you could do something to make staying near hospital easier an have baby shower after baby is out of hospital....just a thought. Either way it's kind of you to think of her.

Lionpaw
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 12:57 AM

Quoting Strawberry2008:

Just my opinion, as kind as your idea is....if my baby was in the hospital I don't think I could enjoy myself being somewhere else, as I would be thinking the whole time about how I should be with my baby....maybe you could do something to make staying near hospital easier an have baby shower after baby is out of hospital....just a thought. Either way it's kind of you to think of her.

That^

When my second was in the nicu and i was discharged, i cried the time i left, felt such an emptyness/heartach the entire time i was away. It was less than an hour, long enough for dh to eat. The damn atms were down at the hospital so he had gone all day without eating.  I know leaving was something i said i could do, i didnt want him hungry, but it was so damn hard. 

I would hold off on a big party til baby is home..... and just try to help with things she needs help with. Do something to give her more company besides nurses there.  Being smiles and happy can be super hard if not impossible to some when not there with their little ones.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN