Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

why is there such an increase in autism since the 90's?

Posted by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 11:43 PM
  • 24 Replies

Anyone know the real answer to this or have an idea of what you think might be causing it to increase so much in recent years? I was just viewing a video about autism on another post and wondered this.

by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 11:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Firewoman33
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 7:10 AM
1 mom liked this

My guess would be a combination of awareness and Autism covers a very wide spectrum of behaviors.

I wouldn't doubt in the next 20 years if parts of the spectrum are tightened up and renamed as we learn more about treatment and causes. 

Raeann11
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:06 AM

More awareness

ambertreas76
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:17 AM
1 mom liked this

The homeopathic doctor I work with has looked into this in depth.  There are quite a few different factors that she has taken into account.  One is that doctors get lots of kick-backs from pharmaceutical companies (also ADHD).  Another part she studies includes food additives and processed foods which affect children metabolically.  This includes GMOs.   There's also the vaccine issue.  She also believes alot of the psychological assessments and diagnoses are misdiagnoses also.    

motamaid
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:20 AM
1 mom liked this
there probably isn't much of an increase is just an increase in the diagnosis
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SuperPickle
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:22 AM

Much better recognition and diagnosis tools.

graycalico
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:08 AM
1 mom liked this
I bet there are many factors, starting with more interventions in the birth process, more vaccines, more processed foods. Some is more awareness and better diagnosing tools.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
liliem
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:14 AM

I don't believe any of the responses to this. I believe it is a combination of flouridated, chlorinated, and poluted water; air polution/chemtrails;  processed foods; factory farming; conventional farming; and vaccinations. When I was young, I do not remember any one that would fit the current description of autism, and I grew up in the 80's. Now its everywhere I go. I have a son who is 12 and even when he was younger it was way less prevalent. Now, with my 18 month old, everywhere I turn and just about everyday I either hear about another child or meet them, sometimes more than once in a day. For the first time there is also a family member with it with NO history. And Japan post-poned vaccinations until age 2 and virtually all SIDS amongst infants declined to almost nothing. Also, if you look at the US compared to other 1st world countries, we fare very low in health and almost any positive comparison. But we are 1 in war expenditure and defense, paying more than all the other countries combined and they are considered our ally's. One more very telling thing, and what I base some of my conclusions, is Thimersol - Mercury. Autism symptoms are exactly the same as mercury poison symptoms. But I think spraying aluminum and barium in the air (which is done throughout the world in an effort to curb global warming), vaccines that have these ingredients, and add to that the poluted world and who knows what is in all the pesticides, etc. that are being used on the crops... Its ripe for neurological and developmental delays. I also just read a study on antibiotics and how it ruins an infants gut bacteria ruining the immune system... therefore leaving the infant/and people without the proper balance to properly digest food, leaving large amounts of these metals going into the bloodstream. Also, the brain barrier isn't established until children are much older as well. You can also compare Ammish, or similar types of people that control all these factors and have zero autistic children. How many autistic adults do you know? Its actually becoming an epidemic and poeple are becoming increasingly worried of what will happen when these children become adults and can not take care of them, especially with all the dwindling resources in the government. AND it was proven in court and admitted by the US Health Resources Services Administration [HRSA] state to CBS News reporter Sharyl Attkisson

We have compensated cases in which children exhibited an encephalopathy, or general brain disease. Encephalopathy may be accompanied by a medical progression of an array of symptoms including autistic behavior, autism, or seizures.

Here's the article: http://childhealthsafety.wordpress.com/graphs/

While there is little you can do other than move to the far corners of earth or similar drastic lifestyle changes that can prevent it altogether, you can however lessen the load. Which is why I no longer vaccinate, only buy certain types of water, use less time in the shower/bath until I move into a house and buy an adequate whole house water filter, and try to buy and eat as much organic and unprocessed foods. In addition I do cleanses, take vitamins, and excercise to keep mine and my families bodies and immune systems at their best while trying to rid our bodies of these impurities. So far I feel much better and am much healthier than I've ever been and turned my health around with these changes, as well as my son's.

occumommy
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:22 AM
I think it`s a combination of factors, from Greater awareness, to increased enviromental factors. I do not think there is one place the finger can be pointed.
As americans our diets are laden with processed foods that contain additives that have been proven toxic and been banned in other countries. We also have some of the highest rates of vaccination, as well as the fact we vax for crap we will probably never be exposed to. We are also a country who has quite a few issues with things like toxic waste. Autism dx has increased worldwide but we american seem to lead the pack on this.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tckosdk.2012
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:45 PM
1 mom liked this

I personally think Autism has always existed but the diease didn't have an actual name. My brother is 33 years old & was just diagnosed Autistic. When he was a kid in the 80's he was diagnosed with ADD (shocker) because that was what Dr's were saying was wrong with any kid that acted alittle different. He was placed in the learning disabled classes in school & was put on Ritalin. There are also people in my family in their 50's & older that were recently diagnosed Autistic so this disease has been around for a long time.

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Apr. 3, 2013 at 6:31 PM

I agree. I think that there is more awareness but I don't think the diagnosing tools/assessments are better.

Quoting ambertreas76:

The homeopathic doctor I work with has looked into this in depth.  There are quite a few different factors that she has taken into account.  One is that doctors get lots of kick-backs from pharmaceutical companies (also ADHD).  Another part she studies includes food additives and processed foods which affect children metabolically.  This includes GMOs.   There's also the vaccine issue.  She also believes alot of the psychological assessments and diagnoses are misdiagnoses also.    

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)