Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

My daughter is an extremely picky eater. Need some help.

Posted by   + Show Post

I need some food ideas for a child that eats almost nothing. They would need to be recipes with few ingredients. She wont eat anything that has a bunch of stuff mixed together.

She likes chicken and fish. She will eat beef but it isn't her favorite. The only veggies she will eat are grean beans, corn and carrots. The only fruit she will eat is black olives. (i guess black olives are a fruit) She likes breads and cheese.

I just don't know what to do for her. She is 10 years old and weighs 50 lbs. and 52". She refuses to try anything new.  When she does eat it's only a few bites then she says she is full. She would eat junk food all day long if I let her. She gets tired easy and has headaches right often. Doctor said it's probably from not eating enough.

I have thought about putting her in therapy to see if she has some type of eating disorder. I don't know if that will help or make it worse.

Thanks

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
This is Bunny. Copy and paste him into your signature to help him gain world domination.
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:53 AM
Replies (11-14):
MomofHDFandNWF
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 11:46 AM
1 mom liked this

Great ideas!!  I never would have thought to go the Mexican route....

Quoting Jinxed8:

Wow ... at 10 I think it may be an eating dissorder - I would be concerned with the tiredness and headaches.  My DD is 5 feet and 85 lbs and mine is not overweight - Dr says she's perfect - I can only imagine that yours is extremely skinny.

Have you tried shakes ?  Smoothies or milkshakes ? These are easy ways to sneak in some fruits, a raw egg (yes it will NOT kill you)  protein powder or nutritional powder, dairy. 

The other thing that comes to mind when I read the ingredient list is mexican food ;  quesadillas with chicken, cheese and black olives, burritos with shredded chicken, seasoned corn, rice and cheese.   My daughter is not big on mixed foods either but mexican is always a welcomed dinner at our house.   As a matter of fact tonight I'm making green chilis chicken enchiladas.

MomofHDFandNWF
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 11:49 AM

I don't make my daughter necessarily finish what is on her plate, but she has to do at least a couple "no thank you" bites... that means completely chewing and swallowing a product.  Then, I will have her try it again at a later date.  We will do this at least three times with a particular food as I have told her it "takes time" for her taste buds to decide if they like something.

Quoting Briesmom38:

I would definitely be concerned with the tiredness and headaches.  My dd is 11 and she's 5'7" and 98lbs, tall and thin, but within range.  I don't give my dd a choice about not eating.  She may get smaller portions but she is expected to eat everything she is given, whether she likes it or not,lol  There have been a few nights that she has sat at the kitchen table after we were done finishing up something she wasn't too thrilled about eating...

Luckily most things that we eat she likes.  She's a big fruit and veggie fan so that makes things easy.

Mexican is big at my house too.  Especially grilled chicken quesadillas, and beef tacos (my dd's favorite).

Tckosdk.2012
by Bronze Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 4:52 PM

Would she drink nutritional shakes like instant breakfast, protein shakes or even pediasure?

Sigmalade
by Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:40 PM

My MIL said dh went through this stage(still is if you ask me). He does not eat condiments(ketchup, bbq sauce, dressing, mayo), he doesn't eat things like potato salad, chicken salad, onion or tomatoes that he can see. He doesn't like lumpy gravy or too dark food. (Yes, my dh still is like this sometimes and it is aggravating to say the least)  He went two days without eating when he was in like 4th grade. His dad finally let him  have potato chips and that is what he ate. I would say let her go grocery shopping and pick some food she likes. Plant a small garden with fruit and vegatables and tell her you guys are going to donate food to a local shelter but she needs to taste it before she gives it away. Make smaller meals and snacks throughout the day. Put her on a vitamin and do child friendly milkshakes that have plenty of nutrients(most kids will go for the shakes). Try fixing different colored pastas with shapes or colors she likes. Have her fix it with you and that will be a meal that she made for the family. If she is anything like dh just straight up lie like his momma did. She would make her own pot pies and put extra chicken or sweet peas in them and say they came from the store that way. He still only eats plain everything, but he will try more things now that he is getting older and has a wife that will let him starve!! Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN