Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How to tell my sister I'm engaged...

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 2:17 PM
  • 6 Replies
My sister has been with her boyfriend for 3 yrs! They have talked about getting married but every time it seems like he's going to ask ( he planned a romantic get away, my sister thought he would ask her to marry him and he didn't)! Stuff like that! I don't want to hurt her feelings! I have been with my boyfriend for a year! We've talked about a long engagement , 2 yrs! We wanna save money for a nice wedding and honeymoon! Any advice is welcome and feel free to ask questions!
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 2:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Melissa_4
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 2:28 PM
1 mom liked this

Take her to lunch, sit her down, and tell her "I have some happy news, and I really hope you'll be happy for me..."

Jinxed8
by Gold Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 2:36 PM
1 mom liked this

just go ahead and say it.   There is no going around it and even if you step on egg shells she is most likely going to be upset.   My sister has been with her BF for 15 years but he refuses to get married and I know it's a sore spot for my sister.  I got married, divorced and  2 months after my initial separation from my husband I met someone, we dated 9 months and he proposed so yeah I knew my sister would blow a gasket too !  I just went ahead and said it - my sister's reaction was sucky she said " Well 2 to 0 for you I guess"  but frankly I didn't give a damn.

BuckeyezRule
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:19 PM

My bestie felt like that too when she got preggo, and her sil had been trying for over 10 years. She hid it for couple weeks before telling her. Sil was happy for my bestie. :) and she got preggo with twins 4 mos later. :) I hope yours is as good! :)

annelauer
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:55 PM

I am sure she will be happy for you.  I would just tell her.  

scrapinmamaK
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 3:05 AM
Thank u so much for the advice everyone! :)
rocrobin90
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 6:55 PM
I have been with my bf for 5 years now and we just recently started talking bout getting married. I still got to find a way to tell my mom cause she dont like my bf. So here is a bump for u. Good luck
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)