Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why does he do this

Posted by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 12:36 PM
  • 15 Replies

My son's cat will go in our bathrooms and shred our toilet paper. Or if the kids leave it on the counter he knocks it in the toilet. He is driving me crazy doing this.

by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 12:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TableforSeven
by Judy on Apr. 4, 2013 at 12:46 PM

Lots of cats do that....the paper us just a toy.  Turn the rolls with the paper going OVER not under the roll and it won't unravel as easily when spun.  As far as knocking down rolls, you just need to be more vigilant about never leaving rolls sitting around....or keep the bathroom doors closed at all times.

JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on Apr. 4, 2013 at 12:48 PM

Get a toilet paper lock?

idk I have an outside cat

lcm3181
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 1:01 PM

mine did it too...seemed to only do it when he's under stress (from a move) or not getting enough attention. He has also mostly grown out of the habit, thankfully! When he was young we had our tp in a tupperware container next to the toilet instead of on the holder. It drove me completely bonkers!!

Jinxed8
by Gold Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 2:02 PM
2 moms liked this

they are cats ! it's entertainment for them ! as simple as that - buy your cat a toy of some kind and he most likely will stop.  My husband had a problem with his cats doing their claws everywhere and I was really worried about my furniture when he and his cats moved in with me.  Funny enough I bought a scratch post and a scratch pad and it worked like magic even though his cats had NEVER had one in their life. My furniture is safe

Briesmom38
by Silver Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 2:07 PM

I was going to say the same thing,lol  My cat is declawed so I don't have to worry about her shredding anything, but she still likes to play with pretty much anything paper related,lol

Quoting Jinxed8:

they are cats ! it's entertainment for them ! as simple as that - buy your cat a toy of some kind and he most likely will stop.  My husband had a problem with his cats doing their claws everywhere and I was really worried about my furniture when he and his cats moved in with me.  Funny enough I bought a scratch post and a scratch pad and it worked like magic even though his cats had NEVER had one in their life. My furniture is safe

** It's 5 O'clock Somewhere **

Jinxed8
by Gold Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 2:12 PM

Although my husband's 2 cats have the scratch posts, my cat is declawed and he pulls on the toilet paper roll.  His thing is also hair ties . I am constantly buying packs of hair ties because we are always running out, until we do spring cleaning... then we find them everywhere, under the fridge, under the stove, under furniture LOL   And he's using the scratch pad too even though he has no claws, it's funny !

Quoting Briesmom38:

I was going to say the same thing,lol  My cat is declawed so I don't have to worry about her shredding anything, but she still likes to play with pretty much anything paper related,lol

Quoting Jinxed8:

PinkButterfly66
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 2:14 PM

Turn the tp around the other way so that when the cat spins it, it won't unravel.  Or use a rubber band.  I'm guessing the cat is a young cat, it'll grow out of it -- mine all did. 

Pukalani79
by Kris on Apr. 4, 2013 at 3:42 PM
1 mom liked this

Our cats do the same thing with the hair ties.  They like them better than toys! LOL

OP we just have to make sure the bathroom doors stay closed to keep the cats out.

Quoting Jinxed8:

Although my husband's 2 cats have the scratch posts, my cat is declawed and he pulls on the toilet paper roll.  His thing is also hair ties . I am constantly buying packs of hair ties because we are always running out, until we do spring cleaning... then we find them everywhere, under the fridge, under the stove, under furniture LOL   And he's using the scratch pad too even though he has no claws, it's funny !

Quoting Briesmom38:

Quoting Jinxed8:

Lionpaw
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 4:02 PM

Cats are cas. Buy 20 dollars worth of toys? They play with the bottle cap you accidently dropped..........

I am guessing they are bored. Keep toys, things for them to be entertained, and flip the roll... they should move on to something more fun. 

countrymomma81
by Platinum Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 4:09 PM

My cats never did that. But we left the bathroom doors locked because the dog we used to have liked to get in the trashcan. Nasty dog. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)