Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

MY 7 YEAR OLD STILL WETS THE BED!!

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:19 AM
  • 47 Replies

My second daughter is 7 and will be 8 in july. She has a problem wetting the bed EVERY night! I had to go out and buy a brand new mattress because she has her room smelling like a porta potty! I also got her a plastic covering to protect her mattress. I took her to the dr and they said there is no medical reason she should be doing this. They said they have no answer for it. One dr actually said she is being lazy and wont get it untill she has to because she is wet.... Im beginging to thing he was right. I have stopped her from drinking 3 hours before bed time, and this still isnt working.... Im not sure if Im willing to put her in a 'diaper' when she goes to bed. Im not wanting to belittle her... know what I mean..... Got any good advice on what could be going on... Im desperate at this point!   sad

by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Briesmom38
by Gold Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:27 AM
2 moms liked this

Maybe she is a deep sleeper and doesn't realize she needs to use the bathroom until it's too late.  Have you tried waking her up before you go to bed and making her use the potty?

** It's 5 O'clock Somewhere **

geminigirls
by New Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:28 AM

My girls are almost 7 and 8 and they still wet the bed almost every night.  They get constant urinary tract infections.  I put them in pull ups.  One doctor told me that because my ex and I were trying to teach them potty training when we were getting a divorce that they would never learn it properly because of the stress.  I feel desperate too.

boy on a swinggirl on a swinggirl on a swing "Visualise your dreams as if they can come true" -Addie C. Strom

mommabear80
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:33 AM

Sorry to hear about the seperation.... I dont know of any stress she could be going through but Im going to sit down with her when she gets home from school and ask her if anything has been bothering her.... thank you for the tip and I hope things get better for you.

hugs

conniejo75
by Bronze Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:34 AM
Some kids wet the bed til they hit puberty. Both my sons are heavy sleepers and wet the bed. Oldest one til around 10, second one til around 13 :/ Edit to add: he stopped and then started doing it again for a short time at 15 when he went through a big growth spurt. We found out he had sleep apnea so he was constantly waking/falling back asleep. Since we treated that he hasnt had any more issues.
The dr that said she is just lazy needs to be shot. Seriously. I used to wake them at midnight to go to bathroom again and they got up at 530... a lot of times they still wet the bed because they just slept through it. Then we got these mats that had an alarm attached so if they wet it would go off.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommabear80
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:35 AM

No, I havent thought of that but I will do that tonight for sure. Thank you for the advice... Im just so upset when she is upset. She will wake up and look at me with the oop! mommy Im sorry face...lol. I cant get mad at her because I dont know the real reason why she pottys in the bed. Thank you for you input and I will try that tonight.

Jadegirl1819
by Bronze Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:35 AM

Does she have an issue with constipation?  That can cause her to wet the bed.

My daughter wet the bed until she was 8 1/2.  I think it started out as a problem being caused by chronic constipation but then just turned into laziness.  I made her sleep in a pullup because I refused to change the sheets every morning (or middle of the night) and then listen to her whine about having to take a shower in the morning.  She also wasn't allowed to have/go to sleepovers until she was dry.

Anyway, I heard about the Nighthawk bed wetting alarm.  It's a version of the potty pager for older kids.  We got it and she had 2 small accidents where she dribbled a bit before getting to the bathroom and has been dry since (10 now).  Maybe something to check into.

mrsary
by Silver Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:38 AM
There may be no real reason for it. I peed in the bed every night way into middle school. I have a very week bladder & if I wait long enough it will happen even now I am 29.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
diaperstodating
by Angel on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:40 AM
Like the poster above me I was a bedwetter until middle school. Try to be patient with her.
~ Hugs ~
the.real.me
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:40 AM
This exactly @conniejo.....that Dr is a moron. My son did till he was 12, so did his father.I notice he does it more often when he is VERY tired. He is one of those kids who could have taken a nap every day till well past school age! My Dr also said that children who are going to be tall tend to do that for some reason. Good luck, it WILL end sometime :)

Quoting conniejo75:Some kids wet the bed til they hit puberty. Both my sons are heavy sleepers and wet the bed. Oldest one til around 10, second one til around 13 :/
The dr that said she is just lazy needs to be shot. Seriously. I used to wake them at midnight to go to bathroom again and they got up at 530... a lot of times they still wet the bed because they just slept through it. Then we got these mats that had an alarm attached so if they wet it would go off.
gsmom9
by Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:44 AM

same situation here. as far as waking him up at certain times to go to the bathroom, some nights work, and some nights he still wets. tryed withholding fluids, but hes thirsty all the time.(no diabetes) he'll pee at bedtime, midnoc or 1am, and when he wakes. he only seems to pee small amounts during nocs in the toilet, on nocs when he is incontinant in the morning. its weird and frustrating 

Quoting geminigirls:

My girls are almost 7 and 8 and they still wet the bed almost every night.  They get constant urinary tract infections.  I put them in pull ups.  One doctor told me that because my ex and I were trying to teach them potty training when we were getting a divorce that they would never learn it properly because of the stress.  I feel desperate too.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)