Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

MY 7 YEAR OLD STILL WETS THE BED!!

Posted by   + Show Post

My second daughter is 7 and will be 8 in july. She has a problem wetting the bed EVERY night! I had to go out and buy a brand new mattress because she has her room smelling like a porta potty! I also got her a plastic covering to protect her mattress. I took her to the dr and they said there is no medical reason she should be doing this. They said they have no answer for it. One dr actually said she is being lazy and wont get it untill she has to because she is wet.... Im beginging to thing he was right. I have stopped her from drinking 3 hours before bed time, and this still isnt working.... Im not sure if Im willing to put her in a 'diaper' when she goes to bed. Im not wanting to belittle her... know what I mean..... Got any good advice on what could be going on... Im desperate at this point!   sad

by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:19 AM
Replies (11-20):
gsmom9
by Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:47 AM
1 mom liked this

is it a loud alarm? my ds sleeps thru alot of noise. even the vacuum cleaner. 

Quoting Jadegirl1819:

Does she have an issue with constipation?  That can cause her to wet the bed.

My daughter wet the bed until she was 8 1/2.  I think it started out as a problem being caused by chronic constipation but then just turned into laziness.  I made her sleep in a pullup because I refused to change the sheets every morning (or middle of the night) and then listen to her whine about having to take a shower in the morning.  She also wasn't allowed to have/go to sleepovers until she was dry.

Anyway, I heard about the Nighthawk bed wetting alarm.  It's a version of the potty pager for older kids.  We got it and she had 2 small accidents where she dribbled a bit before getting to the bathroom and has been dry since (10 now).  Maybe something to check into.

mommabear80
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:52 AM

I will check into that thank you so much.... I hadnt thought of her being constipated!

Jadegirl1819
by Bronze Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:56 AM
1 mom liked this

It isn't a typical alarm like a beeping sound but it scared the crap out of me in my room when it went off.  We actually turned it off and just used the vibrating feature.

Quoting gsmom9:

Quoting Jadegirl1819:

My daughter wet the bed until she was 8 1/2.  I think it started out as a problem being caused by chronic constipation but then just turned into laziness.  I made her sleep in a pullup because I refused to change the sheets every morning (or middle of the night) and then listen to her whine about having to take a shower in the morning.  She also wasn't allowed to have/go to sleepovers until she was dry.

Anyway, I heard about the Nighthawk bed wetting alarm.  It's a version of the potty pager for older kids.  We got it and she had 2 small accidents where she dribbled a bit before getting to the bathroom and has been dry since (10 now).  Maybe something to check into.

alimorgan
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 10:00 AM
2 moms liked this

I am annoyed at your Doctor. My DD is 6 and she has the occasional accident at night. There doesn't have to be a medical reason, your ped is an idiot to tell you that, you can research the information yourself . The are many reasons children do this, as adults we get that feeling that lets us know to go, that feeling is strong for most of us and wakes us in the middle of the night and we get up and go. Children all the way up to 18 have been know to wet the bed, being a very heavy sleeper is a majority of why it happens , the other is the bladder does not mature as fast.  don't ever make her feel bad, whether she shows to you or not it's more embarrassing for her then you know. My niece is 8 and she still has accidents. My SIL stopped drinks at 6:00pm and she still wets the bed. Medication will not fix this, please don't be drawn into that, all it does it make the urge more noticeable but once you take your child off they usually revert back. The medication does not fix the issue nor does it cause the bladed to mature and it is not even a guarantee that they will wake in the middle of the night and go to the bathroom. I had a very long discussion with our pediatrician about DD and her bed wetting. He fully explained the medication , causes of bet wetting to me he even wrote the prescription advising me that we didn't have to fill it, to discuss it with Dh. Dh and I discussed it I explained what the doctor said and I read up on the medication online. We decided since it was not a resolution.... it didn't help make the problem go away it was not worth medicating our child. It may seem to you that your child is being lazy but it's doubtful, my DD has  woke a few times because she was wet, she won't even wake us, she will get a towel outta the bathroom and lay it on the wet spot, she will change her clothes and go back to bed. She doesn't hide it from me but we never get mad at her she will always tell me in the morning that she had an accident because she knows I need to strip her bed and wash everything for her. I know as a parent it can be frustrating, if the issue is really bad you may want to invest in night time "underware" they are pull ups but made for bigger kids . Since DD takes some time to fall asleep  at times I will go in if shes still up before I go to bed and remind her not to forget to potty before she falls asleep. I saw another mother post to try waking her in the middle of the night. That may help to, I know after all these years my body's internal alarm clock still wakes me at 2 am , that was the time all of my kids when they were babies would wake to eat. Anyway good luck I hope you find something that may help, keep her mattressed covered and extra clean sheets on hand :)

conniejo75
by Bronze Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 10:10 AM
My sons woke to it the first few weeks and then slept through it. It would wake the parents on the other side of the house though. Both my kids just had to outgrow it. I agree with previous replies that medication didn't work either. I really think some kids bladders just don't grow as fast as their body.

Quoting Jadegirl1819:

It isn't a typical alarm like a beeping sound but it scared the crap out of me in my room when it went off.  We actually turned it off and just used the vibrating feature.

Quoting gsmom9:

Quoting Jadegirl1819:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
conniejo75
by Bronze Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 10:13 AM
1 mom liked this
It is loud. But my kids eventually slept through it too. But it will probably wake u. Maybe by noticing a time frame it happens you can wake him beforehand?

Quoting gsmom9:

Quoting Jadegirl1819:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommabear80
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 10:14 AM

I totally agree with you.... medication is not and will never be a option for her. She has hit it from me and wont tell me unless I ask her. I wont make her feel bad when she does potty in the bed but I do tell her.... if you pee in the bed you have to come and get me so I can help you clean up the mess... I have 4 kids so Im being pulled in several diffrent directions at one time and I do tend to forget to check her bed till its that night and she comes to me and says mommy my bed is wet. I wont get upset with her but in my head Im like.... UGH NOT AGAIN! I went out and bought her a brand new mattress and a plastic slip cover for it to protect it against the wetness and so far that is working perfect. Needless to say we no longer go to that dr. We have another dr and we did the ultra sound to see if there was something inside wrong and it was totally normal.... the only conclusion he could come up with is she just can feel the urge to go potty while she is asleep he said she will grow out of it but that will come in time... but I feel like it wont come soon enough because I dont want K to feel like she is a bad girl and I tell her all the time... honey you cant help it... just try next time to go to the bathroom and rememer to always come and get mommy and Ill help you change your sheet and tuck you back in. BUT she wont do it she will go in her sisters bed and sleep with her till its time to wake up and her sisters dont like to have her in there beds outta fear of her wetting there bed... I know that this is something that will get better in time. But as a mom I want to help her and I feel like Im not doing anything but letting her down in a way.... ugh.. Ill take all your advice into mind and research it more. Thanks

AlekD
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 10:17 AM
Hey, I'm not a member of this group but I saw the thread title in the "active posts" list and thought I would mention that my DH used to wet the bed when he was a kid because his back needed to be adjusted. A trip to the chiropractor always made it stop, whenever it happened again he would go get another adjustment and it would stop again. I think it had something to do with his hips being in a weird position that made it hard to tell that he had to go...something like that anyway. Hes embarrassed so I don't know the specifics lol.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mommabear80
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 10:22 AM

I have heard of that... I think Im going to get her appointment as soon as possible to see if they can do that for K. Thank you.

micheledo
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 10:29 AM
2 moms liked this
I had a late bedwetter, did it every single night without fail. He did eventually stop right before seven. He has cousins that wet the bed much later. I have heard it tends to run in the family.

Just a tip to make things easier on you. Get multiple matress covers and make the bed for three nights. Mattress cover and bottom sheet, mattress cover and botto msheet, mattress cover and the sheets. Changing the bad every day gets annoying. Just stripping the bed is so much easier and the next set of sheets is already o nthe bed! It will make thinks a little bit easier for you!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)