Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

MY 7 YEAR OLD STILL WETS THE BED!!

Posted by   + Show Post

My second daughter is 7 and will be 8 in july. She has a problem wetting the bed EVERY night! I had to go out and buy a brand new mattress because she has her room smelling like a porta potty! I also got her a plastic covering to protect her mattress. I took her to the dr and they said there is no medical reason she should be doing this. They said they have no answer for it. One dr actually said she is being lazy and wont get it untill she has to because she is wet.... Im beginging to thing he was right. I have stopped her from drinking 3 hours before bed time, and this still isnt working.... Im not sure if Im willing to put her in a 'diaper' when she goes to bed. Im not wanting to belittle her... know what I mean..... Got any good advice on what could be going on... Im desperate at this point!   sad

by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:19 AM
Replies (31-40):
isaacsmommy68
by Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 2:35 PM

It is not laziness. I cannot believe your doctor would tell you that. My doctor recommeded the Night Hawk Potty Pager. My son was 9 1/2 when we used this. They tested him for a few different things, when those were ruled out this is what he recommened. Here is the link. It is worth the money. It takes about a month of using it. My son has been dry for almost a year now, with only one accident.

http://www.bedwetting.us/works.php

ScrChk23
by Amanda on Apr. 9, 2013 at 3:02 PM

My brothers had a similar problem.  They had a nose spray (rx only) that they had to take at bedtime.  They were in that deep of a sleep that their bodies would not allow them to wake up.  This was when they were 10.  Eventually they outgrew it.

For your daughter, they make the Overnights underwear.  That might help her realize that there is a problem with her not waking up.

RJC78
by New Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 3:40 PM

My daughter is 9 and just quit wetting the bed last year.  We used pull-ups, it was much easier on her than waking up cold and wet in the night.  Soemtimes there is nothing you can do but wait it out.

drivenleonian
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 6:49 PM
DD is 10 and has problems. I was 12 when I grew out of it. Be patient and try to wake her in the middle of the night. Although there aren't any medical reasons that you can see, could she have had a brain injury or other trauma?
After my brain injury, I was tested by a Neuro, OB and urologist. The only thing that they could attribute my problems to were brain damage. I've had several TBI's, stemming from the first one my family could recall when I was 2. DD was potty training when my X moved out.
DD and I wear 'special underwear', depends, to bed. She's showing signs of improvement, but my problems seem to be worse when I'm stressed. We don't make a big deal about it and she still goes to sleepovers. I talk to the parents and bring a waterproof pad and her special underwear.
As a last resort, take her for counseling. There are many reasons for a child to wet the bed.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
drivenleonian
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 6:53 PM
A weak bladder would cause problems during the day as well. That's what I was diagnosed with at a young age. It's not laziness or too much fluid. Caffeine and sugar beverages can cause problems too.
There are so many causes. Many doctors don't want to deal with a child wetting the bed. Don't give up. Do as much research as you can and talk to her. The first step is letting her know that she's not in trouble.

Quoting mommabear80:

O wow! I didnt realize that it could be a weak bladder... I dont think an ultrasound can see that... when he did do the ultrasound he said everything was normal... maybe she just can feel the erge to go potty while she is asleep....*thinking*

drivenleonian
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 6:58 PM
DD is 10. My Mom told me that my Bio Dad had the same problems. I thought I out grew it, only to find that trauma caused it to come back. Be patient. 'Special underwear' Depends, do help. It's made life much easier for DD. Wal Mart has waterproof mattress pads that are washable and can be taken when going to a sleepover or at home.

Quoting Dabberdoo:

My 10 year old still wets the bed. I have no suggestions. I hate it so much.

KylesMom409
by Linnette on Apr. 9, 2013 at 7:49 PM
This.

Quoting Briesmom38:

Maybe she is a deep sleeper and doesn't realize she needs to use the bathroom until it's too late.  Have you tried waking her up before you go to bed and making her use the potty?

moniagee
by Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 7:54 PM
I actually wet the bed until I was 17, I was a heavy sleeper and had a small bladder. I have a 10 year old that wets the bed and it's because of a small bladder and him being a heavy sleeper. I set up a routine at night. Like I wake him up every 3 hours when I go to the bathroom (I STILL have a small bladder), and he has dry nights. There are still times he'll have an accident but he mainly stays dry.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
beckydmom
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 4:46 PM

It happens.  if you can rule out the quick medical or emotional causes... nothing wrong with a pullup if she needs one.  mine still bedwets too

DivaKim
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 11:08 PM
My daughter is 12 and has the same thing happening. Md says she is a very hard sleeper and she does not realize she has to go. She wears adult pull ups every night. Plastic mattress cover the works. I have even go e so far as to wake up every hour only to somehow miss catching her before she wets. Frustrating but we live with it. She has tried meds too, did not work.

I have done some research and found it is not necessarily the amount of liquid but more so late night carbohydrates. So at night we try to limit liquids and carbs. I still wake her up several times each night, but she is really hard to wake and she usually still has an accident.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)