Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

my 2 yr old is terrified and I dont know how to help her

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:44 PM
  • 28 Replies
With bugs.....
Shes 2.5 and terrified of bugs. The flowers are blooming and bees are on them so she runs into the house crying. A fly was in the house and shes on the couch trembling in fear and crying. I couldnt hardly cook dinner tonight cause a mosquito was flying towards her so she clung to me in terror. Runs away screaming with an ant on the ground, anything. I tried to show her they wont hurt her but she wont go near them without shaking in terror. Bugs are everywhere! I have no idea how to help her....

Anyone have any suggestions cause shes afraid to move or go into a room if she even sees a knat!

(We just bought a house in a rural area with a creek in the back so there will be more bugs when it gets warmer)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Pell-Mel
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:50 PM
Try catching a few and creating a sort of bug habitat in a jar or other safe container. Some toy stores even have bug enclosures. That way she can check them out on her terms and on her home turf.
MrsImperfect
by Bronze Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:54 PM
I didnt think of that. Thats a very good idea!

Quoting Pell-Mel:

Try catching a few and creating a sort of bug habitat in a jar or other safe container. Some toy stores even have bug enclosures. That way she can check them out on her terms and on her home turf.
MrsImperfect
by Bronze Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 10:12 PM
Bump
Crissy2424
by Bronze Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 10:18 PM

This! Also, maybe have her watch shows or read books about bugs that  puts it in a fun way for her.

Quoting Pell-Mel:

elzmnsf
by Silver Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 3:11 AM
These are fantastic ideas. Get an enclosure, maybe even the one where you grow ladybugs or butterflies from larvae, or the the one where you catch them and she can see them. There was a show when my oldest was little called mrs spiders sunny patch kids or some other such name , it was Disney jr when it was playground Disney... All kinds of bugs but being a family. That could help!

Quoting Crissy2424:

This! Also, maybe have her watch shows or read books about bugs that  puts it in a fun way for her.

Quoting Pell-Mel:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
graycalico
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 3:49 AM
If she's a yo gabba gabba fan there is an episode about bugs. Lol
Love the enclosure idea. You can order ladybugs to raise and release
TableforSeven
by Judy on Apr. 9, 2013 at 6:04 AM
1 mom liked this

Name them.

One of our kids would freak out at the sight of ANY bug....one evening at dinner a fly appeared on the wall and our child started freaking out - without thinking DH said "hey, don't be upset, that is just frank - he just stopped by to say hi".  Instantly, DD calmed down and said hello to 'frank'.

We named any/all bugs that came in after that....even the ones we killed.  Our kids are all older now and we still sometimes name bugs that get in the house.  Lol

KRIZZ25
by Bronze Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 6:06 AM
find her some toy bugs and let her know their OK.. but don't play wth the real deal.my md use top flip out over a fly ..she out grew it.
gsmom9
by Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 6:10 AM

hes a quick thinker 

Quoting TableforSeven:

Name them.

One of our kids would freak out at the sight of ANY bug....one evening at dinner a fly appeared on the wall and our child started freaking out - without thinking DH said "hey, don't be upset, that is just frank - he just stopped by to say hi".  Instantly, DD calmed down and said hello to 'frank'.

We named any/all bugs that came in after that....even the ones we killed.  Our kids are all older now and we still sometimes name bugs that get in the house.  Lol

TableforSeven
by Judy on Apr. 9, 2013 at 6:14 AM

Yes, he is.  Though I think the first one was more out of desperation than actually thinking.  It seemed like every time we sat down for a meal, a bug would appear.  It was getting quite 'old'.  I was thrilled when we stumbled on the naming thing - bought me a little time (especially when the bug was a big one that -I- had to drum up the courage to squash!  Lol).

Quoting gsmom9:

hes a quick thinker 

Quoting TableforSeven:

Name them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)