Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

my 2 yr old is terrified and I dont know how to help her

Posted by   + Show Post
With bugs.....
Shes 2.5 and terrified of bugs. The flowers are blooming and bees are on them so she runs into the house crying. A fly was in the house and shes on the couch trembling in fear and crying. I couldnt hardly cook dinner tonight cause a mosquito was flying towards her so she clung to me in terror. Runs away screaming with an ant on the ground, anything. I tried to show her they wont hurt her but she wont go near them without shaking in terror. Bugs are everywhere! I have no idea how to help her....

Anyone have any suggestions cause shes afraid to move or go into a room if she even sees a knat!

(We just bought a house in a rural area with a creek in the back so there will be more bugs when it gets warmer)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:44 PM
Replies (11-20):
Shaylyn318
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 6:17 AM
I was going to say teach her about bugs. Start with the harmless ones that are very beneficial to the environment. I like the other moms ideas too. I used to be afraid of flies because of the buzzing sound, thought they were bees until I got a bit older. Would she watch Ants, A Bugs Life or that bee movie?
JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on Apr. 9, 2013 at 6:22 AM
Ds was that way. The bug in a habitat was even too much for him. We had to start with plastic bugs in a habitat and go from there. Each phase (plastic bug in habitat, out of habitat, touching plastic bug, real bug in a habitat, real bug outside of habitat) took a week to a month to overcome. I would sit on the floor and act like bugs were the best thing in the world until he got involved.
We had set backs too. A mosquito eater landed on him when he was falling asleep one night. For 6 months he wouldn't sleep in his bed. My dad decided to force him to touch a bug. We had to start at plastic bugs again. But now he will pick up some familiar bugs like pill bugs. He still freaks if there's one in the shower or his room.
Good luck!
whatmynameagain
by Bronze Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 8:49 AM
My dd is terrified of all bugs. Ants here bite so she thinks all do. We look up bugs online and show her how cool they are and most harmless. Mu ds catches them in a bug catcher and shell look at them from a distance . She does love butterflies though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Pell-Mel
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:10 AM
BRILLIANT!!! :-D

Quoting TableforSeven:

Name them.

One of our kids would freak out at the sight of ANY bug....one evening at dinner a fly appeared on the wall and our child started freaking out - without thinking DH said "hey, don't be upset, that is just frank - he just stopped by to say hi".  Instantly, DD calmed down and said hello to 'frank'.

We named any/all bugs that came in after that....even the ones we killed.  Our kids are all older now and we still sometimes name bugs that get in the house.  Lol

Tckosdk.2012
by Bronze Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:17 AM

All of those suggestions are great. Also try to lead by example. I think when the kids see their parents or other adults freaking out about a bug then they get really scared. When I'm around kids & there is a bug in the house I always try to calmly pick it up & let it outside, unless it's a giant silver fish or somthing. lol.

e-doolittle
by Kelly on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:47 AM
1 mom liked this
In addition to the above great ideas, for flying ones, we taught DS to shoo them. He feels like he has some control over their position then, each spring we have to reacquaint him why bugs aren't so bad.
Jinxed8
by Gold Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:56 AM

my daughter was like that too.  It gets better with time, she doesn't freak out now, she still doesn't like bugs but doesn't panic anymore, she is still afraid of anything in the bee family but then again, so am I.  I loath bugs !!

l4mycountry
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:07 AM
They all have good ideas . The Disney storyabout bugs r a good one.
Mrs_Nelson
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:27 AM
1 mom liked this
Try an ant farm where she can watch the ants living their lives without them being able to get to her. Also you could go the fairy tale route and make up stories for the bugs since they do usually have a queen and all the bugs she sees could be on an important quest for the royal bug family. You could even pay that one up to tell her how lucky she is because you have moved to the magical land where bugs make lots of quests and voyages and some of them decorate (bees) and some collect food (ants) and some sing ('crickets) and some even do bug sized fireworks (fireflies). You could turn dragonflies into fairies and lady bugs into ladies in waiting. Just have fun with it. My youngest son was similar and he kept stepping on and flooding ant hills because he was scared until I explained how cool they are and how they went on long adventures everyday. Not he is ten and he loves all nature and even has an ant farm in his room. Good luck
KylesMom409
by Linnette on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:43 AM
I agree. Awesome idea! :)

Quoting MrsImperfect:

I didnt think of that. Thats a very good idea!

Quoting Pell-Mel:

Try catching a few and creating a sort of bug habitat in a jar or other safe container. Some toy stores even have bug enclosures. That way she can check them out on her terms and on her home turf.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)