Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

my 2 yr old is terrified and I dont know how to help her

Posted by   + Show Post
With bugs.....
Shes 2.5 and terrified of bugs. The flowers are blooming and bees are on them so she runs into the house crying. A fly was in the house and shes on the couch trembling in fear and crying. I couldnt hardly cook dinner tonight cause a mosquito was flying towards her so she clung to me in terror. Runs away screaming with an ant on the ground, anything. I tried to show her they wont hurt her but she wont go near them without shaking in terror. Bugs are everywhere! I have no idea how to help her....

Anyone have any suggestions cause shes afraid to move or go into a room if she even sees a knat!

(We just bought a house in a rural area with a creek in the back so there will be more bugs when it gets warmer)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:44 PM
Replies (21-28):
MrsImperfect
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:18 PM
Thats how she is. Its so bad that if she sees too many in one day every piece or fuzz or string or cat hair on the ground is a bug and she just cries. I feel so bad. She literally trembles in fear.

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

Ds was that way. The bug in a habitat was even too much for him. We had to start with plastic bugs in a habitat and go from there. Each phase (plastic bug in habitat, out of habitat, touching plastic bug, real bug in a habitat, real bug outside of habitat) took a week to a month to overcome. I would sit on the floor and act like bugs were the best thing in the world until he got involved.

We had set backs too. A mosquito eater landed on him when he was falling asleep one night. For 6 months he wouldn't sleep in his bed. My dad decided to force him to touch a bug. We had to start at plastic bugs again. But now he will pick up some familiar bugs like pill bugs. He still freaks if there's one in the shower or his room.

Good luck!
JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on Apr. 9, 2013 at 1:03 PM

My son does that but he has anxiety disorder too so it's not just bugs.  I would start with plastic for her.  Don't push that always set my son back.  Just encourage and let her get comfortable and her own pace.  

Whenever my son saw a bug outside I would just calmly remind him bugs live outside and he can either chose to find an area where there isn't a bug or he can chose to go inside.  He started out chosing to go inside everytime but eventually he would just move and find a new place to play.  We live in a rural area too so there's tons of bugs out here.

Quoting MrsImperfect:

Thats how she is. Its so bad that if she sees too many in one day every piece or fuzz or string or cat hair on the ground is a bug and she just cries. I feel so bad. She literally trembles in fear.

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

Ds was that way. The bug in a habitat was even too much for him. We had to start with plastic bugs in a habitat and go from there. Each phase (plastic bug in habitat, out of habitat, touching plastic bug, real bug in a habitat, real bug outside of habitat) took a week to a month to overcome. I would sit on the floor and act like bugs were the best thing in the world until he got involved.

We had set backs too. A mosquito eater landed on him when he was falling asleep one night. For 6 months he wouldn't sleep in his bed. My dad decided to force him to touch a bug. We had to start at plastic bugs again. But now he will pick up some familiar bugs like pill bugs. He still freaks if there's one in the shower or his room.

Good luck!

Being a full-time mother is one of the highest salaried jobs in my field, since the payment is pure love.  ~Mildred B. Vermont
SallyB_LMT
by Bronze Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 3:38 AM

I just got in a car accident because a spider ran across the inside of my windshield and freaked me out so much I didn't see that the cars in front of me had stopped for a red light...sorry can't help ya with that.  Maybe read some books about friendly bugs?  Hungry hungry caterpillar by Eric Carle is good.  Have her watch 'A Bug's Life' with you.  :)

MrsImperfect
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 11:33 AM
Omg I know how you feel. I have a phobia to spiders. I almost wrecked my car a few times. Thats why my sister says her fear is because of me. I dont cry scream or run away from a spider. I just freeze and gasp. Except if I'm confined with it. Shes never seen me react to one as of yet. Are you okay?

Quoting SallyB_LMT:

I just got in a car accident because a spider ran across the inside of my windshield and freaked me out so much I didn't see that the cars in front of me had stopped for a red light...sorry can't help ya with that.  Maybe read some books about friendly bugs?  Hungry hungry caterpillar by Eric Carle is good.  Have her watch 'A Bug's Life' with you.  :)

MrsImperfect
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 11:35 AM
I have an axiety disorder and I think she does too. She freaks out with loud noises too like thunder. I think plastic bugs is the way to go. She fell off a chair yesterday cause a fly flew at her face and it scared her so bad she fell trying to get away from it :-(

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

My son does that but he has anxiety disorder too so it's not just bugs.  I would start with plastic for her.  Don't push that always set my son back.  Just encourage and let her get comfortable and her own pace.  

Whenever my son saw a bug outside I would just calmly remind him bugs live outside and he can either chose to find an area where there isn't a bug or he can chose to go inside.  He started out chosing to go inside everytime but eventually he would just move and find a new place to play.  We live in a rural area too so there's tons of bugs out here.

Quoting MrsImperfect:

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

Good luck!

SallyB_LMT
by Bronze Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 8:35 PM
1 mom liked this

Ya, we're okay.  I just dropped it off at the autobody shop to get the bumper fixed.  Luckily no one was seriously injured...not even that dang spider.  I told my bff, I was a grown up Miss Muffet and I got in a car accident because I couldn't run away!!

Quoting MrsImperfect:

Omg I know how you feel. I have a phobia to spiders. I almost wrecked my car a few times. Thats why my sister says her fear is because of me. I dont cry scream or run away from a spider. I just freeze and gasp. Except if I'm confined with it. Shes never seen me react to one as of yet. Are you okay?

Quoting SallyB_LMT:

PinkButterfly66
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 8:59 PM

You should totally get her this book too!

It starts off ...

One lonely spider sipped her tea

While gazing at the sky.

She watched the many insects on the leaves

And many flying by.

"If I had friends like these," she sighed,

"Who'd stay a while with me,

I'd sit them down on silken chairs,

And serve them cakes and tea."

All the bugs are afraid of her and won't talk to her until she rescues a wet moth from the rain and serves her tea and keeps her company until her wings dry.  The moth then tells all the other bugs how really nice Miss. Spider is and they all show up for tea.  It is a really charming and quite clever.  The art work is amazing too.

Quoting elzmnsf:

These are fantastic ideas. Get an enclosure, maybe even the one where you grow ladybugs or butterflies from larvae, or the the one where you catch them and she can see them. There was a show when my oldest was little called mrs spiders sunny patch kids or some other such name , it was Disney jr when it was playground Disney... All kinds of bugs but being a family. That could help!

Quoting Crissy2424:

This! Also, maybe have her watch shows or read books about bugs that  puts it in a fun way for her.

Quoting Pell-Mel:

Try catching a few and creating a sort of bug habitat in a jar or other safe container. Some toy stores even have bug enclosures. That way she can check them out on her terms and on her home turf.

MrsImperfect
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 10:25 PM
What a sweet book. She loves books that would be perfect!

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

You should totally get her this book too!

It starts off ...

One lonely spider sipped her tea

While gazing at the sky.

She watched the many insects on the leaves

And many flying by.

"If I had friends like these," she sighed,

"Who'd stay a while with me,

I'd sit them down on silken chairs,

And serve them cakes and tea."

All the bugs are afraid of her and won't talk to her until she rescues a wet moth from the rain and serves her tea and keeps her company until her wings dry.  The moth then tells all the other bugs how really nice Miss. Spider is and they all show up for tea.  It is a really charming and quite clever.  The art work is amazing too.

Quoting elzmnsf:

These are fantastic ideas. Get an enclosure, maybe even the one where you grow ladybugs or butterflies from larvae, or the the one where you catch them and she can see them. There was a show when my oldest was little called mrs spiders sunny patch kids or some other such name , it was Disney jr when it was playground Disney... All kinds of bugs but being a family. That could help!

Quoting Crissy2424:

This! Also, maybe have her watch shows or read books about bugs that  puts it in a fun way for her.

Quoting Pell-Mel:

Try catching a few and creating a sort of bug habitat in a jar or other safe container. Some toy stores even have bug enclosures. That way she can check them out on her terms and on her home turf.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN