Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What would you do?

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 11:42 PM
  • 16 Replies

I was driving down a busy highway and almost ran over a 1 year old who ran out in front of me.  I stopped and looked around thinking there would be a frantic mom or dad and did not find anyone.  I forgot to bring my cell phone and didn't want the child to be ran over so I brought the child out of the road and waited 30 minutes when no mom or dad came out.  I wasn't thinking and put the child in my sons car seat and ran to the police office where the police took the child.  All I could think about were my children and how even a minute of my children being gone or quiet would send me into a frenzy.  Now, at the time I wasn't thinking about someone thinking I stole the child.  I was thinking about the child getting killed or ran over so I did what I thought was right.  

by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 11:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
fatcat0908
by Bronze Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 11:44 PM
I would have knocked on doors until someone either told me where the boy lived or allowed me use of their phone to call the police.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lovinmyair
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 11:48 PM

Quoting fatcat0908:

I would have knocked on doors until someone either told me where the boy lived or allowed me use of their phone to call the police.

I thought of that too, but I was a little afraid that someone could lie and say they had a child or didn't or something like that.

diaperstodating
by Angel on Apr. 8, 2013 at 11:48 PM
A one year old was alone on a busy highway?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
diaperstodating
by Angel on Apr. 8, 2013 at 11:52 PM
I would have had my phone with me. I guess I would call 911.
lovinmyair
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 11:52 PM

Quoting diaperstodating:

A one year old was alone on a busy highway?

Yes, he may have been close to two, but my guess would have been about 1 1/2 or so.  He wasn't really talking and had that unsteady walk if you know what I mean.

elzmnsf
by Silver Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 3:03 AM
3 moms liked this
I think since you got the baby to safety you did right. Wether pounding on doors, or calling from a cell, or taking the child to the cops.... You got him to safety.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Crissy2424
by Bronze Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:02 AM

I'm glad you got him to someplace safe, but I would of knocked on doors. Yes, someone could of said that was their kid, but I doubt it. Plus, you could of asked to see a pic they had of this child because I know I have thousands in our house. Yes, you could think photoshop, but it is worth a try. Plus, a parent should of been close or calling out because they couldn't find their child.

e-doolittle
by Kelly on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:18 AM
Nicely put

Quoting elzmnsf:

I think since you got the baby to safety you did right. Wether pounding on doors, or calling from a cell, or taking the child to the cops.... You got him to safety.
12yrmama
by Bronze Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 4:38 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't think I would have been very clear headed in that situation, so knocking on doors in a strange neighborhood wouldn't have occured to me. I probably would have done the same as you.

emarin77
by Bronze Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 4:46 PM

I woudn't worry what others think.  What you did was the right thing.  Did you call the police to confirm they found the child's parents?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)